It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quoting posters for news articles
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 am 
God

Harmony posted a link to an article in the Salt Lake Tribune where they quoted MD and MAD poster Droopy in an article. I think this is an excellent way to let the public know what the members are thinking. Perhaps future article can include Droopy, Bcspace and others as well.

Post subject: Re: Quoting posters for news articles
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:06 am 
Founder & Visionary

Uh, do you have a link to the story?

* since the last supression

--Fetchface, 07-01-2019

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:55 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Harmony posted a link to an article in the Salt Lake Tribune where they quoted MD and MAD poster Droopy in an article. I think this is an excellent way to let the public know what the members are thinking. Perhaps future article can include Droopy, Bcspace and others as well.

What was the article about? Lunatics in the church?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:35 am 
God

Not to worry. I've already posted comments in the sltrib and my word does not change between here and there.
lol

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am 
Elder

I was fascinated to read how Droopy was quoted in the article. Too bad it didn't post a follow-up on how the MAD thread from which it quoted Droopy concluded (with him pretty much being left with nothing to say in trying to defend his totally non-LDS-based views on environmentalism).

It's also interesting to note that Droopy didn't follow up on the thread on NARTH/homosexuality, here (I'd be willing to bet Droop is a gay man living the LDS lifestyle--AKA denying his homosexuality).

Darin

"Have compassion for everyone you meet even if they don't want it. What seems conceit, bad manners, or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone."--Miller Williams

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am 
God

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14984487?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Droopy had a very fine and cromulent quote. Extreme "environmentalism" is certainly inconsistent with the gospel. A steward is certainly not defined that way. But conservation can certainly be wthin the bounds of the gospel.

A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 am 
God

What is the deal on this? Why is a, presumably, reputable newspaper in Salt Lake City quote mining internet message boards?

This just seems a bit weird. We're being watched...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:52 am 
God

Quote:
What is the deal on this? Why is a, presumably, reputable newspaper in Salt Lake City quote mining internet message boards?

This just seems a bit weird. We're being watched...

Perhaps someone procrastinated and had to scramble to get an article together.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:41 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:
Droopy had a very fine and cromulent quote.

I love that you used this particular made up word to describe a Droopy quote. How apropos!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 pm 
God

Quote:
I love that you used this particular made up word to describe a Droopy quote. How apropos!

I find neologisms to be both humorous and useful though of course one might not see the same humor as I do.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:15 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Darin wrote:
I was fascinated to read how Droopy was quoted in the article. Too bad it didn't post a follow-up on how the MAD thread from which it quoted Droopy concluded (with him pretty much being left with nothing to say in trying to defend his totally non-LDS-based views on environmentalism).

It's also interesting to note that Droopy didn't follow up on the thread on NARTH/homosexuality, here (I'd be willing to bet Droop is a gay man living the LDS lifestyle--AKA denying his homosexuality).

Darin

Darin! I didn't know you were here.

Will you and the other board members please join me in fasting and prayer that Droopy, BCSpace, and Will Schryver will become the public face of Mormonism on the internet?

Note: anyone who is atheist or agnostic can "pray" in whatever way is meaningful to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

bcspace wrote:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14984487?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Droopy had a very fine and cromulent quote. Extreme "environmentalism" is certainly inconsistent with the gospel. A steward is certainly not defined that way. But conservation can certainly be wthin the bounds of the gospel.

BCSpace:

Hello, OFFICIAL CHURCH DOCTRINE [taps the sign]

Quote:
The Church does not:

* Endorse, promote or oppose political parties, candidates or platforms.
* Allow its church buildings, membership lists or other resources to be used for partisan political purposes.
* Attempt to direct its members as to which candidate or party they should give their votes to. This policy applies whether or not a candidate for office is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* Attempt to direct or dictate to a government leader.

http://www.LDS.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/publ ... neutrality

It's a press release, so that means it trumps whatever prophets or apostles have taught.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:26 pm 
God

Quote:

Darin

Quote:
Darin! I didn't know you were here.

You'll notice that Darin is not quite the same person here as he is on the MADB.

Quote:
BCSpace:

Hello, OFFICIAL CHURCH DOCTRINE [taps the sign]

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Quote:
It's a press release, so that means it trumps whatever prophets or apostles have taught.

It's doctrine and/or policy (Being published by the Church. see also "Official Church Resource" on the header) and therefore is what the prophets and apostles are teaching.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:32 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
BCSpace:

It's doctrine and/or policy (Being published by the Church. see also "Official Church Resource" on the header) and therefore is what the prophets and apostles are teaching.

Which you are ignoring by dictating which political platforms are acceptable for members of the Church.

I surely am glad, though, that you have accepted that under your definition of official church doctrine, Ezra Taft Benson's teaching, even that you can't dismiss the words of a prophet as "not a commandment" is official church doctrine. Isn't it wonderful? Isn't it marvelous? No more of that picking apologists over the prophets, seers, and revelators for you!

P.S. Obviously I don't notice Darin being different here, since I just barely found out he was here.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:02 pm 
God

Quote:

Quote:
Which you are ignoring by dictating which political platforms are acceptable for members of the Church.

I haven't ignored anything. I'm merely comparing existing doctrine with various political philosophies and simply note that a Democrat couldn't make it through a TR interview without lying (agreeing with and/or supporting groups that are opposed to the Church etc.).

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:13 pm 
Bishop

bcspace wrote:
Quote:
I haven't ignored anything. I'm merely comparing existing doctrine with various political philosophies and simply note that a Democrat couldn't make it through a TR interview without lying (agreeing with and/or supporting groups that are opposed to the Church etc.).

But apparently morons can ...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:04 pm 
God

bcspace wrote:
Quote:

I find neologisms to be both humorous and useful though of course one might not see the same humor as I do.

Did you see the "malamanteau" thing the other day? That was simply brilliant.

Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:13 pm 
θεά

This made me LOL. (That the newspaper is quoting people posting under aliases on an Internet message board. There wasn't anything particularly funny about the story or the quote from Droopy.)

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm 
Quote:
Will you and the other board members please join me in fasting and prayer that Droopy, BCSpace, and Will Schryver will become the public face of Mormonism on the internet?

Does anyone know how to draw naked pictures for the lower realms of slamtoons?

Imagine a naked picture of Droopy on Slamtoons!!

hahahahahahahahah!!!

Paul O

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm 
Hermit

I don't think quoting the online posters is that weird beyond the attribution being to a moniker. I think the reporter was trying to present the "green" move as kind of cool and unexpected, and then to set up strawman naysayers that come across as total nutjobs. Who better to recruit to this end than Droopy?

You've got one nutcase who says the Church is conspiring with Satanic environmentalists, and another who says the Church would never conspire with Satanic environmentalists.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith

bcspace wrote:

Huh. Good to see you're not apostate. You know, not contradicting Church leaders and official policy and all that.

Quote:
The LDS Church, through a high-ranking leader, is making its strongest public statement to date about the need for political diversity among members, while expressing concerns the Republican Party is becoming the "church party."

"There is sort of a division along Mormon/non-Mormon, Republican/Democratic lines," says Elder Marlin Jensen, a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. "We regret that more than anything -- that there would become a church party and a non-church party. That would be the last thing that we would want to have happen."

Jensen said major national political parties may take stands that do not coincide with teachings of the 10 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but that should not put them out of bounds for members.

A former attorney and lifelong Democrat, Jensen was careful in his comments not to suggest an official LDS preference for any political party but to maintain the church's traditional stand of partisan neutrality.

The First Quorum of the Seventy is the third tier in LDS Church leadership after the Quorum of Twelve Apostles and the governing First Presidency.

Jensen for the past three years has been a member of the church's Public Affairs Committee. He was designated by church officials to respond to The Salt Lake Tribune's request for an interview on the topic of partisan imbalance in Utah and among LDS members.

The Tribune's inquiry came on the heels of two significant developments: Utah Democrats' unprecedented failure to field a candidate in a congressional race and a statement from the LDS First Presidency -- read over pulpits in January -- urging members to seek elective office.

In an hourlong interview at the church's worldwide headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City arranged and overseen by LDS media-relations director Mike Otterson, Jensen discussed leaders' views about the seeming demise of two-party politics among members. Among the concerns he aired:

-- The LDS Church's reputation as a one-party monolith is damaging in the long run because of the seesaw fortunes of the national political parties.

-- The overwhelming Republican bent of LDS members in Utah and the Intermountain West undermines the checks-and-balances principle of democratic government.

-- Any notion that it is impossible to be a Democrat and a good Mormon is wrongheaded and should be "obliterated."

[Quoted here: http://bobaagard.blogspot.com/2008/10/elder-marlin-k-jensen-on-being-lds.html