So, Dr. Shades, Schryver was just making it up all along?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Trevor
God

Re: So, Dr. Shades, Schryver was just making it up all along?

Post by Trevor »

Runtu wrote:I know, but at least it's reassuring to know I'm not just imagining this stuff out of hyper-self-absorption. I don't get it, either.

Your hyper-self-absorption is most likely someone else's inability to take responsibility for his actions in certain areas.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

William Schryver
God

Post by William Schryver »

Runtu wrote:
William Schryver wrote:John, I don't know what you're talking about here.

Please give an example of this "ridicule I continue to send your way." "Ridicule?" Really? Where? When? In what form? I'm pretty familiar with "ridicule," especially when I visit this place, and I just don't "get" what you're talking about when it comes to allegations of me heaping it upon you.

I detect someone's hypersensitivity run amok again. I suspect that when you get yourself ratcheted up into one of those hyper-self-absorbed states, pretty much anything said by anyone gets interpreted through your persecution complex lens as "ridicule."

Obviously, I'm at a disadvantage because I can't see the stuff you've said about me.

What I've been told most recently is that you said of me that I was so clueless that you thought I must be a sockpuppet caricature, but then zeezrom showed up and confirmed that delusional folks like me actually exist. You were so delighted to find two such nutcases that you are going to add an amalgam of us to your play.

I have also heard that you said that I was obviously stupid because I assumed that people couldn't read my duplicitous posts in other places while I was feigning niceness on MADB.

Maybe I'm sensitive, but that sounds like derision and ridicule to me. But, sure, go ahead and call me hyper-self-absorbed. Add it to the list.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about. None whatsoever. You've been "told" that I've ridiculed you, and yet you don't even know what I've said? Man! Talk about straining to take offense.

Please feel free to check back with me when you are able to actually confront me with examples of this "ridicule" I have directed towards you. Until then I'm afraid I'll have to simply assume that you've been willing to be misled. Are you so famished for persecution that you need to manufacture it from rumor? That's pretty tragic, if you ask me.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:Are you so famished for persecution that you need to manufacture it from rumor? That's pretty tragic, if you ask me.

You're right. I simply can't believe that the man who would make these comments could ever be accused of ridiculing the person he aimed them at.
“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

William Schryver
God

Trevor wrote:
William Schryver wrote:Are you so famished for persecution that you need to manufacture it from rumor? That's pretty tragic, if you ask me.

You're right. I simply can't believe that the man who would make these comments could ever be accused of ridiculing the person he aimed them at.

Nor I.

I have certainly found fault with John several times in the past, based on my profound disagreements with his approach to his unbelief and what I perceive as his frequent proclivity to evangelize his unfaith in subtle ways. But I am not aware of having "ridiculed" him on a personal level. Now, I'm certain that much "ridicule" is in the eye of the beholder, but I would be surprised if John (or anyone else) could produce very much, if anything, in the way of personally derisive things I have ever said about or to him.

I welcome anyone who is so inclined, to post any such material here. I will gladly review it and make any apology I feel is warranted.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:I will gladly review it and make any apology I feel is warranted.

Yeah, I think the bit about "what you feel is warranted" is the sticking point. It is clear that you and John, and you and I, for that matter, do not see eye to eye on these kinds of things. So, we are not really holding our breath for you to feel like you need to make an apology. No offense intended. I'm just being practical here.

Tarski
God

Post by Tarski »

Trevor wrote:

I guess Will missed the irony.
(I'll spell it out: in this very post he characterizes him as tragically famished for persecution. No that's not personal and not insulting either-LOL!)
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

Tarski wrote:I guess Will missed the irony.

Believe me when I say he did not miss it. He chose to overlook it because he does not see anything wrong with what he wrote. There is a real blindness here. We all have our blind spots. Clearly, this is one of Will's.

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Enuma Elish wrote:While I appreciate a good intellectual argument over Mormonism as much as the next guy, mocking a person's sincere spiritual convictions will always prove morally reprehensible in my book.

Runtu wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Why? Are "sincere spiritual convictions" supposed to be above criticism?

Criticism is different from mocking.

Not necessarily. Often, when I'm mocking someone, it's because I'm critical of the thing I'm mocking. Mocking expresses my criticism.

I just took issue with the idea that "mocking a person's sincere spiritual convictions will always prove morally reprehensible." That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read on these forums. "Morally reprehensible?" That's simply moronic.

I'll tell you what's morally reprehensible. Making up a bunch of garbage to rationalize away obvious falsehood and perpetrate the lies of others at the cost of people's happiness. Bearing your testimony of BS. Now that's morally reprehensible!

Sincere spiritual convictions... holy crap, give me a ____ break. If anything is screaming out to be mocked, that's it.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

Runtu
God

Post by Runtu »

As I said, I can't go over to MADB and get the exact quotes, but I know what Will said, and so does he. All someone would have to do is find a post wherein he invoked my IRL name and used the word caricature. Obviously, I cannot do it, so that makes me famished for persecution (that is pretty funny, by the way). But, no, he's just found fault with my proselytizing for unfaith (seriously, you can't make this up).

What Will says about me no longer hurts, but it is kind of funny to see him deny saying it.

For what it's worth, I have no doubt that Will is involved in a big Book of Abraham project, and I do give him credit for taking the time to delve into these issues.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

William Schryver
God

Runtu wrote:As I said, I can't go over to MADB and get the exact quotes, but I know what Will said, and so does he. All someone would have to do is find a post wherein he invoked my IRL name and used the word caricature. Obviously, I cannot do it, so that makes me famished for persecution (that is pretty funny, by the way). But, no, he's just found fault with my proselytizing for unfaith (seriously, you can't make this up).

What Will says about me no longer hurts, but it is kind of funny to see him deny saying it.

For what it's worth, I have no doubt that Will is involved in a big Book of Abraham project, and I do give him credit for taking the time to delve into these issues.

"What Will says about me no longer hurts ..." Sniff, sniff, tear wipe, sniff.

I tell you what, just to make you feel better, I'll dish you up some real ridicule: stop your freaking whining you little baby!

What a wuss you can be sometimes! You're like some little pre-pubescent girl who just got told she was ugly by the cute boy in the class! You talk about ridicule as though you've got the corner on the market here. I've got some news for you crybaby: the ridicule you've received wouldn't fill a thimble to the ocean of it I've taken. And I've done it with nary a word of complaint.

It's no wonder you have so many day to day "psychological issues" to deal with--you manifest just about ZERO mental toughness in the face of what has really amounted, over the years, to mild opposition. And yet I've never seen anyone whine as much as you about how roughly you've been treated.

Whaaaaaa! Whaaaaa! Whaaaaa!

Get over it already, would you? The world is a rough place. And online message boards are not for the faint of heart and tender of soul. If you can't handle it, then go home to mommy.

I'll tell what I think, though. I think this is all just part of your standard agenda. This is all a ploy designed not so much to engender sympathy for your poor, pitiful plight, but rather just to focus faux outrage on me. Of course you won't produce any evidence of my perfidy! That would be entirely counter-productive to your purpose, which is to keep it all on the level of the ambiguous, thereby facilitating a general condemnation. Talk about specific instances and you run the risk of having some people conclude that perhaps it's not as bad as they had been led to believe. That has been the modus operandi in dealings with me by the denizens of the GSTP. The little "incident" that Trevor manufactured was a prime example. If you had asked someone exactly what my crime was in the affair, no one could have specifically described it beyond the fact that it was BAD. Something really, really, really BAD. (LOL!) Unfortunately (for its author), its desired effect did not extend beyond the borders of this place, and those for whom the propaganda was most intended came to view the whole thing as a comical farce.

So, I'm familiar with the routine, John. As I've said before, you are, in my judgment, the most aggressive passive-aggressive evangelizing apostate I know. You're always ready to "go on the attack" in your passive-aggressive mode, and my having been hanging around this place the past few days presented you with another temptation/opportunity that you just couldn't resist. The only good thing about our interactions is that many people have now started to watch you more closely than they did previously, and they have started to see these things I've been pointing out for the past couple years. They're starting to pick up on your predictable patterns of behavior and recognize in those patterns an underlying design. So, rather than seeing your sympathy quotient rise, the more you carry on with this kind of stuff, the more that quotient steadily drops; the more people begin to understand how pretty much everything you do is very deliberately calculated, and always has been.

At any rate, I'll do you and me both the favor by undertaking to remove the present temptation from you. I've already wasted too much time in this godforsaken hell hole of an intellectual and spiritual abyss.

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

Yeah, it was difficult for me to maintain my anger at Will. I did manage to hold onto it for quite a while. The egregiously unacceptable nature of his behavior inspired me to greater tenacity. But, it was clear that there were limits to what the apologists would or could do about this. My sense was that he has relatively influential friends among them, and that the rest of the group are not sufficiently organized or unified in opinion to do anything about it.

And, frankly, Will's devotion to Mormonism is a far, far better bet than mine. At least in the way most Mormons define that devotion. My relationship with Mormonism is a fascination-repulsion relationship. I don't know that I can even call it love-hate. Why go out on a limb to redress wrongdoings against me, when he is dangling his idiosyncratic but utter devotion to the cause and promises of KEP revelations? To do the right thing? I have ceased to expect it in this screwed up world.

Besides, Will is just a character. And, despite myself, I kinda like the guy. Absurd I know. I suppose I should hate his guts. But I just can't do it. I have a difficult time hating any individual. I usually save my bile for organizations. It is much easier to rail against them. So, yeah, I will watch out and not place myself in a position to be given a major wedgie by the local South Utah apologetic bully, but he is sorta like an eloquent Nelson Muntz. Reading him is kinda like reading fan-fiction for Deadwood. I loved that show.

Runtu wrote:As I said, I can't go over to MADB and get the exact quotes, but I know what Will said, and so does he. All someone would have to do is find a post wherein he invoked my IRL name and used the word caricature. Obviously, I cannot do it, so that makes me famished for persecution (that is pretty funny, by the way). But, no, he's just found fault with my proselytizing for unfaith (seriously, you can't make this up).

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:"What Will says about me no longer hurts ..." Sniff, sniff, tear wipe, sniff.

I tell you what, just to make you feel better, I'll dish you up some real ridicule: stop your freaking whining you little baby!

What a wuss you can be sometimes! You're like some little pre-pubescent girl who just got told she was ugly by the cute boy in the class! You talk about ridicule as though you've got the corner on the market here. I've got some news for you crybaby: the ridicule you've received wouldn't fill a thimble to the ocean of it I've taken. And I've done it with nary a word of complaint.

To cut the verbiage and thus cut to the chase:

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:I've got some news for you crybaby: the ridicule you've received wouldn't fill a thimble to the ocean of it I've taken. And I've done it with nary a word of complaint.

Two observations:

1) This is a complaint.

2) You love the attention.

Cry baby.
Last edited by Trevor on Tue May 18, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Runtu
God

Post by Runtu »

Will's response is about what I expected. Whatever. Like I said, it doesn't bother me like it used to. Life goes on. The one constant is my passive-aggressive pity party. I'm pretty damn good at it, apparently.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

Runtu wrote:Will's response is about what I expected. Whatever. Like I said, it doesn't bother me like it used to. Life goes on. The one constant is my passive-aggressive pity party. I'm pretty damn good at it, apparently.

Yeah, well Will's long post is a fine example of him projecting his whining on you. "Boohooo, you're just passive-aggressive to me. Waaa-waaaa, Trevor manufactured all of these bogus charges against me... Blubber, blubber... I have taken an ocean of persecution, so you have nothing to cry about. I have a right to cry, watch me while I cry and say that I have never cried over my martyrdom for the great cause."

Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Trevor wrote: Yeah, well Will's long post is a fine example of him projecting his whining on you. "Boohooo, you're just passive-aggressive to me. Waaa-waaaa, Trevor manufactured all of these bogus charges against me... Blubber, blubber... I have taken an ocean of persecution, so you have nothing to cry about. I have a right to cry, watch me while I cry and say that I have never cried over my martyrdom for the great cause."

LMAO

Good stuff, man. It's funny 'cause it's true.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.

William Schryver
God

Runtu wrote:Will's response is about what I expected. Whatever. Like I said, it doesn't bother me like it used to. Life goes on. The one constant is my passive-aggressive pity party. I'm pretty damn good at it, apparently.

You are, indeed. I've always said so. Your strongest attribute is your unwavering commitment to "staying in character." Well, almost unwavering. You see, that's where you've given yourself away. Every once in a while those suppressed feelings find a way to wriggle out from under the covers. But, for the most part, you keep up the act with a perfectly straight face.

If anyone around you is able to see through the charade, it's probably some of your kids. They're usually the best at piercing the thin veneer of their own parents' hypocrisy. At least that has been my experience. ;-)

OK, folks, I'm afraid I really have to say goodbye for a while. I'd love to stay and watch Trevor erode his reputation further, but I have to take a mare over to have a month-long fling with a stranger, and she's insisted I do her hair and nails beforehand.

Women! They're all the same.

(Except for those who are different ...)

William Schryver
God

Some Schmo wrote:
Trevor wrote: Yeah, well Will's long post is a fine example of him projecting his whining on you. "Boohooo, you're just passive-aggressive to me. Waaa-waaaa, Trevor manufactured all of these bogus charges against me... Blubber, blubber... I have taken an ocean of persecution, so you have nothing to cry about. I have a right to cry, watch me while I cry and say that I have never cried over my martyrdom for the great cause."

LMAO

Good stuff, man. It's funny 'cause it's true.

What a pathetically sycophantic whore you are. You've never had an original thought in all my experience with you, but damn if you aren't good at shilling for others.

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:Well, almost unwavering. You see, that's where you've given yourself away. Every once in a while those suppressed feelings find a way to wriggle out from under the covers. But, for the most part, you keep up the act with a perfectly straight face.

The perfect corollary to the ex-Mormon's suspicions concerning the Church is the apologist's conviction of the hidden darkness and sly motives of the critic. "Oh, you act all nice, but we all know what you are really up to! Boring.

William Schryver wrote:They're usually the best at piercing the thin veneer of their own parents' hypocrisy. At least that has been my experience. ;-)

I'm sure your kids have been furnished with many opportunities to pierce yours.

William Schryver wrote:I'd love to stay and watch Trevor erode his reputation further, but I have to take a mare over to have a month-long fling with a stranger, and she's insisted I do her hair and nails beforehand.

Yawn. Oh yes. I am trembling. What would I do without all the love coming my way from FAIR and the NMI? I simply would wither and die without it. Puhleeeease!

Trevor
God

Post by Trevor »

William Schryver wrote:What a pathetically sycophantic whore you are. You've never had an original thought in all my experience with you, but damn if you aren't good at shilling for others.

You're just jealous. Droopy left before he could polish your knob.

Runtu
God

Post by Runtu »

Trevor wrote:The perfect corollary to the ex-Mormon's suspicions concerning the Church is the apologist's conviction of the hidden darkness and sly motives of the critic. "Oh, you act all nice, but we all know what you are really up to! Boring.

I've always thought it funny that people like Will see these underhanded, secretive motives in my posts, which are apparently designed to erode other people's faith. On the other hand, my wife (you know, the one person who should and does spot my character flaws and hypocrisy) tells me that I'm far too open in sharing my feelings and thoughts and motivations here. In fact, she has often gotten upset with me for sharing too much with people here. So, rather than seeing my emotions "wriggling" out occasionally, she's upset that they're usually on display all the time.

Go figure.
Runtu's Rincón