the dude cracks me up

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Post Reply
User avatar
beastie
God
Posts: 14216
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

the dude cracks me up

Post by beastie »

I don't read many threads at MAD, most of them are yawn fests. But I happened to click on this one and was well rewarded with one of the best laughs I've had in a while. The thread is called "Joseph as Apologist" by Her Amun, whose basic point was that Joseph Smith was an ignorant fool who could never have possessed all the advanced knowledge within the Book of Mormon. He stated, in regards to Joseph Smith (in response to silly things like "Mormon" meaning "more good"):

Im not sure he was joking, though it might be possible.

I think he is being serious, and showing what an ignoramous he was. Hardly the kind of man that could have known Enochic traditions, egyptian names, pre-islamic arabian geography, 1st temple goddess theology,olive cultivation,ancient priesthood initiation rights,non-biblical Abraham traditions,ancient jewish coronation rights,ancient jewish poetic forms, the mesoamerican pattern of using invervals of 400 for cyclical calendar prophecy, ancient egyptian associations of Abraham and the lion couch, ancient hebrew adaption/redaction of egyptian funerary motifs or mesoamerican warefare.


to which the dude replied:

QUOTE(Her Amun @ Mar 6 2007, 06:26 PM) *

I think he is being serious, and showing what an ignoramous he was.


...a tradition that has been preserved in today's apologetics.


BADABING!!!!

Thanks, dude, I needed that!
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

I honestly do not know how he can get away with that without being banned. I've seen plenty such humorous cracks from him over the weeks I spent at MAD, and it's astonishing to me that he isn't even redlined.

User avatar
beastie
God
Posts: 14216
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by beastie »

fort,

he did get redlined that first week the mods went MAD after critics, but they seemed to have backed off. Yes, I admit I'm amazed, too. I guess he's just too charming for them to ban. You and I just don't have that much charisma. ;)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

User avatar
Bond...James Bond
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)
Posts: 4627
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Post by Bond...James Bond »

A quote from this same thread:

charity wrote:the dude, we are flexible because we don't have to be locked into any one explanation. We start with the knowledge that the Book of Mormon is ancient scripture translated by Joseph Smith by the power of God. Exactly how the scripture originated (what was reformed Egyptian, where did Nephi live, how did Moroni get the plates to New York state) does not matter.

We find it interesting to consider those questions, but it doesn't matter. And we have fun with various theories that are proposed, with various scholarly studies that give information and suggestions about evidences.

Since we have sure knowledge via the Spirit, if someone produces some little bit that goes against what we know, we can let it roll of our backs like water off a duck. It doesn't phase us. We can be patient. Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.


(my emphasis)

Image

"Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum."
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

I love the definition of 'open minded' there.

User avatar
Bond...James Bond
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)
Posts: 4627
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Post by Bond...James Bond »

Fortigurn wrote:I love the definition of 'open minded' there.


I love the symmetry of her post. Ironic at the beginning, irony at the end.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:I love the definition of 'open minded' there.


I love the symmetry of her post. Ironic at the beginning, irony at the end.


That's not just symmetry, that's chiasmus.

User avatar
wenglund
God
Posts: 4947
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Post by wenglund »

I must admit that for a long time in my past I greatly admired people who were particularly adept at put-downs, and for a while I even attempted to hone that skill, myself.

Recently, though, I have found that what really makes my day are people like my mother, who has been caring tirelessly for my father during his 3 bouts with cancer. Or, soldiers who are daily putting their lives on the line, fighting to protect our freedoms and to liberate millions from tyranny (see: Our War Heroes). Or, those good-hearted souls who go about oft unnoticably commiting Random Acts of Kindness.

This change has made me wonder in general if the things we each tend to admire, and the things that make our day, says something, if not much, about us?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

I agree with what you say Weng. The only difference I have with you is that I never admired people who put down others. I'm guessing you're making a comment on the inaptly named 'charity' and her style of posting?

User avatar
wenglund
God
Posts: 4947
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:25 pm

Post by wenglund »

Fortigurn wrote:I agree with what you say Weng. The only difference I have with you is that I never admired people who put down others. I'm guessing you're making a comment on the inaptly named 'charity' and her style of posting?


While I am pleased that you never admired such people, your guess was incorrect. My comment was intentionally generic in its application (I have learned that finger-pointing tends to be counterproductive), and if it was directed at anyone in particular, it was me--though Beastie's OP to this thread did prompt me reflect introspectively on the matter, which is why I posted my comments here.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

User avatar
Sethbag
God
Posts: 6855
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:52 am

Post by Sethbag »

Well I've just got a heart so huge, with so much room in it, that I get to love all the War Heros, the Random Act of Kindness Doers, and those who tend to folks dealing with cancer... and still have plenty left for The Dude!

Go Dude, that was indeed funny, man.

I think my favorite post in that thread, however, goes to Mighty Curelom.
pg 309 Mormon means "more good" This one is my personal favorite and kinda cute. This one is significant given that it was addressed to the editor of the T&S and is signed "yours, Joseph Smith". In response to the claim made by others that Mormon is a derivative of the greek word "mormo", the prophet denies that any greek or latin were on the plates he translated. He goes on to relate the danish, saxon, dutch, german,greek, latin and hebrew words for "good" and finally comes to the "egyptian"word, "mon". He says, "Hence with the addition of 'more' , or the contraction, 'mor' , we have the word 'Mormon'; which means, literally, 'more good'."



This is my favorite too, because it shows what a BSer Joseph Smith was. His explanation can't be chalked up to mere mistake, either; the fact that Joseph invented a word and claimed that it was Egyptian clearly shows that he was making stuff up. So transparent is this particular BS that the main apologetic excuse for the "more good" statement is that Joseph was joking. I'm fine with that explanation, so long as we apply it to everything Joseph made up, which, incidentally, would make Joseph Smith a very funny man.

User avatar
beastie
God
Posts: 14216
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by beastie »

That's not just symmetry, that's chiasmus.


Man, I kid you not. I had already turned off my computer when I thought of this line myself. I turned it back on first thing this morning with the intent to post this brilliant bit, and find out that Fort had already stole my thunder. You snooze (literally), you lose.

I guess that says something about the way our minds work, Fort - or it says we've read too much apologia.

by the way, wade, you are full of yourself. You always have been - you just vary what you stuff yourself with. Now it's self righteous purity. It used to be the self appointed bigot meter. Before that, it was the self appointed logical fallacy meter. Do you always have a schtick? Is there a personality underneath there somewhere, something under these masks you construct?
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

User avatar
beastie
God
Posts: 14216
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by beastie »

This is my favorite too, because it shows what a BSer Joseph Smith was. His explanation can't be chalked up to mere mistake, either; the fact that Joseph invented a word and claimed that it was Egyptian clearly shows that he was making stuff up. So transparent is this particular BS that the main apologetic excuse for the "more good" statement is that Joseph was joking. I'm fine with that explanation, so long as we apply it to everything Joseph made up, which, incidentally, would make Joseph Smith a very funny man.


Yeah, that was right-on. And yet we have, predictably, a True Believer using even THIS to bolster his faith. Joseph Smith was a BSer, so the church is true!!!

The fact that so many people seem to be able to engage in this level of self-deception is simultaneously scary and funny. Funny on the internet, and when the dogma they're washing themselves in is innocuous - scary when it's the real world and the dogma is dangerous.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

User avatar
Who Knows
God
Posts: 2455
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Post by Who Knows »

wenglund wrote:I must admit that for a long time in my past I greatly admired people who were particularly adept at put-downs, and for a while I even attempted to hone that skill, myself.

Recently, though, I have found that what really makes my day are people like my mother, who has been caring tirelessly for my father during his 3 bouts with cancer. Or, soldiers who are daily putting their lives on the line, fighting to protect our freedoms and to liberate millions from tyranny (see: Our War Heroes). Or, those good-hearted souls who go about oft unnoticably commiting Random Acts of Kindness.

This change has made me wonder in general if the things we each tend to admire, and the things that make our day, says something, if not much, about us?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-


You know, women say a sense of humor is one of the most sought after qualities in men...
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

beastie wrote:
That's not just symmetry, that's chiasmus.


Man, I kid you not. I had already turned off my computer when I thought of this line myself. I turned it back on first thing this morning with the intent to post this brilliant bit, and find out that Fort had already stole my thunder. You snooze (literally), you lose.


Only the quick and the dead around here.

I guess that says something about the way our minds work, Fort - or it says we've read too much apologia.


It's a horrifying thought.

by the way, wade, you are full of yourself. You always have been - you just vary what you stuff yourself with. Now it's self righteous purity. It used to be the self appointed bigot meter. Before that, it was the self appointed logical fallacy meter. Do you always have a schtick? Is there a personality underneath there somewhere, something under these masks you construct?


Hey, don't be too hard on him. I'm sure he means well, and we want him to stay around.

User avatar
Who Knows
God
Posts: 2455
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 pm

Post by Who Knows »

Fortigurn wrote:Hey, don't be too hard on him. I'm sure he means well, and we want him to stay around.


umm, i'm guessing you haven't been around wade for too long?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...

User avatar
Runtu
God
Posts: 16721
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 pm

Post by Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:Hey, don't be too hard on him. I'm sure he means well, and we want him to stay around.


umm, i'm guessing you haven't been around wade for too long?


Wade has grown on me, for some reason. I for one want him to stay around.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

User avatar
beastie
God
Posts: 14216
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by beastie »

Oh, I'm not trying to chase Wade off. I just get tired of the same old schtick, and wish he would branch out, show a bit of his real face, or something.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

User avatar
The Dude
God
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:16 pm

Post by The Dude »

Hi beastie,

Thanks for noticing me, and I'm glad I made you laugh. I've been too busy to start threads or participate with more than an occasional one-liner, but I do my best to make them quality one-liners.

Bond is right to throw some credit to Charity. That post he quoted has got to be the most inside-out example of "open mindedness" I've ever seen.

"Since we have sure knowledge via the Spirit... whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."

"Wow" is right!

Fortigurn
Holy Ghost
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:32 am

Post by Fortigurn »

Who Knows wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:Hey, don't be too hard on him. I'm sure he means well, and we want him to stay around.


umm, i'm guessing you haven't been around wade for too long?


I've been around him long enough not to want to read any more of his posts because they're so lacking in content and coherent argument (which didn't take long at all), but I intend to avoid being rude or dismissive towards him.

User avatar
moksha
God
Posts: 22052
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm

Post by moksha »

wenglund wrote:This change has made me wonder in general if the things we each tend to admire, and the things that make our day, says something, if not much, about us?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Wade, I hope you can bring this enlightenment to others as well. Best wishes in spreading the peace and joy.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], moksha, Temp. Admin. and 33 guests