It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
Don't know if this has been discussed here, but BYU is doing a preemptive ban before there are overwhelmingly larger numbers of damning videos informing BYU students of church history and personal stories about others exit from the church.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252541,00.html

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:34 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19525
Location: Koloburbia
You may be correct, but the motives you have ascribed to the reason for of blocking You Tube are not the same as in the article. I am surprised you failed to note them doing so on direct orders of the Reptilians.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:06 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
moksha wrote:
You may be correct, but the motives you have ascribed to the reason for of blocking You Tube are not the same as in the article. I am surprised you failed to note them doing so on direct orders of the Reptilians.


Although I hold a reptilian conspiracy in the plausible but not probable realm (Haha) I do not see them paying any attention to the Mormon church.

On the other hand, do you think Alpha Draconia is another word for Kolob?

But seriously...Bandwidth?

I know a great deal about bandwidth and this stinks of censorship.

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:39 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm
Posts: 18195
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
VegasRefugee wrote:
Don't know if this has been discussed here, but BYU is doing a preemptive ban before there are overwhelmingly larger numbers of damning videos informing BYU students of church history and personal stories about others exit from the church.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252541,00.html


BYU students don't have to watch video in order to know what's out there. The days of the church being able to protect the members from damning information are gone. Sound bite videos don't tell the whole story, anyway. A member has to really want to search out the foundation of church history in order to find the rest of the story (to quote Paul Harvey). Members are able to compartmentalize their faith away from critical thinking and logic, and this will continue, whether they are at BYU or elsewhere. Those that want to find out will find out. Those that don't won't. And BYU-in-loco-parentals will have no control over either.

Don't sweat it, Vegas. If the church is going to implode, it will implode. And then we will know once and for all that it is led by men who were so arrogant and enarmored with their power and unrighteous dominion they listened only to their own reason.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:46 pm 
harmony wrote:

Don't sweat it, Vegas. If the church is going to implode, it will implode. And then we will know once and for all that it is led by men who were so arrogant and enarmored with their power and unrighteous dominion they listened only to their own reason.


Gee, in prior posts you maintain that you hold a current recommend and attend the temple. Given the questions that you must affirmatively answer to get that recommend, it seems to me that you are either being disingenuous with your bishop, or are lying to us about your recommend, or else lying to us about your feelings about the Brethren. Anyway you look at it, your argument seems weak.

rcrocket


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:52 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm
Posts: 18195
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
rcrocket wrote:
harmony wrote:

Don't sweat it, Vegas. If the church is going to implode, it will implode. And then we will know once and for all that it is led by men who were so arrogant and enarmored with their power and unrighteous dominion they listened only to their own reason.


Gee, in prior posts you maintain that you hold a current recommend and attend the temple. Given the questions that you must affirmatively answer to get that recommend, it seems to me that you are either being disingenuous with your bishop, or are lying to us about your recommend, or else lying to us about your feelings about the Brethren. Anyway you look at it, your argument seems weak.

rcrocket


What argument? (Plu, we already had this discussion, remember? I am not required to like my leaders, not required to refrain from criticizing them. All I'm required to do is sustain them, personal feelings aside. And that I do. I do not, however, revere them, fawn over them, or agree with them when they do or say something stupid. I sustain them, much as I sustain the President of the United States, even when I disagree with him too).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:19 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Posts: 6215
Location: in the dog house
VegasRefugee wrote:
But seriously...Bandwidth?

I know a great deal about bandwidth and this stinks of censorship.

I agree that bandwidth is just a pretense. The article itself states:
Quote:
Students can access Internet video through Google, which Jenkins said is more easily filtered than YouTube.

In fact there are many internet sites that allow video: msn soapbox, yahoo, AOL, metacafe, etc.

But if you're worried about censorship of uncomfortable information, I can vouch that there is plenty of it in BYU's Heber B. Lee Library. And if that isn't good enough, they can always go to the Provo City Library. If BYU is trying to censor anything, it's porn. Every year BYU bishops complain about that all-too-common issue.

_________________
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:30 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:04 am
Posts: 2204
Bottom line here is that BYU is a Mormon owned compound. You WILL obey their rules. By accepting their admission of you as a student, you are submitting yourself to their rules, which basically allows them to control every aspect of your secular and religious life, period.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:10 pm 
Star B
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:44 pm
Posts: 107
The bandwidth argument is tenuous at best...to date BYU has never had a "press release" ban on PtoP networks, the single biggest bandwidth thief since COX cable.

More mind control for the "academic" masses.

I expect a General Conference ban on youtube come Easter.



ps Google actually owns Youtube.
pps What the hell was VEGAS doing on FOX news?!? (perhaps more alarming!)

_________________
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
Notoriuswun wrote:
pps What the hell was VEGAS doing on FOX news?!? (perhaps more alarming!)


If you want to study communist propaganda you read Pravda.

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:29 pm 
Star B
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:44 pm
Posts: 107
VegasRefugee wrote:
Notoriuswun wrote:
pps What the hell was VEGAS doing on FOX news?!? (perhaps more alarming!)


If you want to study communist propaganda you read Pravda.


Or Marx.

Where do you fall politically then?

_________________
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:48 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
Notoriuswun wrote:
Or Marx.

Where do you fall politically then?


To the right I am a neoliberal. To the left im a do nothing centrist. To myself I am a libertarian.

Heinlein is the political philosopher that I identify with the most.

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 pm 
Star B
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:44 pm
Posts: 107
VegasRefugee wrote:
To the right I am a neoliberal. To the left im a do nothing centrist. To myself I am a libertarian.

Heinlein is the political philosopher that I identify with the most.


Neato.

Exhume Goldwater '08! is my new campaign motto.

_________________
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:03 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:00 pm
Posts: 9189
rcrocket wrote:
harmony wrote:

Don't sweat it, Vegas. If the church is going to implode, it will implode. And then we will know once and for all that it is led by men who were so arrogant and enarmored with their power and unrighteous dominion they listened only to their own reason.


Gee, in prior posts you maintain that you hold a current recommend and attend the temple. Given the questions that you must affirmatively answer to get that recommend, it seems to me that you are either being disingenuous with your bishop, or are lying to us about your recommend, or else lying to us about your feelings about the Brethren. Anyway you look at it, your argument seems weak.

rcrocket



Plu is obsessed with you and your recommend Harmony. You and your recommend makes up about 1/3 of his posts.
I believe Plu can discuss things intelligently. I see glimpses of this once in a while. But I think he just likes to toy with mostly us hypocrites you know. He gets his jollies this way. That anyone has questions and real concerns they may be interested in dealing with, or God forbid, actually they may have good ideas for change in the Church is tough for Plu and his monolithic Mormonism thinking. You can see it on the editing church history thread. He said it there. If the leaders want to change and edit the history so it is more faith promoting that is A OK with him. It is after all god directing them to do this so it is just fine.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
Jason Bourne wrote:
Plu is obsessed with you and your recommend Harmony. You and your recommend makes up about 1/3 of his posts.
I believe Plu can discuss things intelligently. I see glimpses of this once in a while. But I think he just likes to toy with mostly us hypocrites you know. He gets his jollies this way. That anyone has questions and real concerns they may be interested in dealing with, or God forbid, actually they may have good ideas for change in the Church is tough for Plu and his monolithic Mormonism thinking. You can see it on the editing church history thread. He said it there. If the leaders want to change and edit the history so it is more faith promoting that is A OK with him. It is after all god directing them to do this so it is just fine.


I think its a control thing. Invoking the TR makes him feel important.

False power, false sense of accomplishment.

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: BYU bans YouTube
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:19 pm 
rcrocket wrote:
harmony wrote:

Don't sweat it, Vegas. If the church is going to implode, it will implode. And then we will know once and for all that it is led by men who were so arrogant and enarmored with their power and unrighteous dominion they listened only to their own reason.


Gee, in prior posts you maintain that you hold a current recommend and attend the temple. Given the questions that you must affirmatively answer to get that recommend, it seems to me that you are either being disingenuous with your bishop, or are lying to us about your recommend, or else lying to us about your feelings about the Brethren. Anyway you look at it, your argument seems weak.

rcrocket


Considering that you were crying on the other thread because of the way I supposedly treated you, I'm surprised you are still using this obsessive tactic with Harmony. What do you do, Bob? Follow Harmony around from thread to thread to invoke the same argument? Her stance has been asked and answered. In case you're having reading comprehension problems again:

Harmony wrote:
What argument? (Plu, we already had this discussion, remember? I am not required to like my leaders, not required to refrain from criticizing them. All I'm required to do is sustain them, personal feelings aside. And that I do. I do not, however, revere them, fawn over them, or agree with them when they do or say something stupid. I sustain them, much as I sustain the President of the United States, even when I disagree with him too).


If you want to refute her comments, Bob, at least start a new thread, and state why you're refuting her arguments (that is, if you can). This business of following her around to different threads copy/pasting the same comment is growing tiresome.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:23 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
Notoriuswun wrote:

Neato.

Exhume Goldwater '08! is my new campaign motto.


Whats funny is that Hillary campaigned for Goldwater.

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:07 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19525
Location: Koloburbia
Notoriuswun wrote:
Exhume Goldwater '08! is my new campaign motto.

Baptism of the dead?

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:16 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 am
Posts: 5534
Location: Over at the Frankenstein place
moksha wrote:
Notoriuswun wrote:
Exhume Goldwater '08! is my new campaign motto.

Baptism of the dead?


Ahhh, the fresh odor of Necromancy

_________________
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:23 pm 
Star B
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:44 pm
Posts: 107
VegasRefugee wrote:

Whats funny is that Hillary campaigned for Goldwater.


That was when she was young and idealistic. She now has sold herself to no fewer than 250 corporations/organizations. (much like all politicians)

But she still supports business, would probably restrict gov spending, and would (hopefully) support civil liberties.

I might vote/support her.

_________________
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

- Friedrich Nietzsche


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:59 pm 
Lightbearer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: las vegas
If they ban the video stuff, how will all the young college guys enjoy projectile vomiting from consuming Mentos and a 2 liter Coke?

_________________
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fence Sitter, Google [Bot] and 47 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group