It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I am drinking Coke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm 
I have two cans of soda. One of Coke and one of Pepsi. I open both cans. I pour out the substance contained in the red can and refill it with the substance from the blue one. I now throw away the blue can and take a sip.

See me? I am drinking Coke. And if you doubt that, just look at the can. What does it say? It says Coca Cola. Are you denying that it says this? Why are you so cruel to suggest that I am not drinking Coke? In fact all you watching who are drinking from red cans, yes you, you are impostors and are drinking Pepsi.

No! Don't tell me you saw me put Pepsi into the Coke can! You are a bigot and have no sense of taxonomy. It is clear for all to see it is Coke. Let me ask this man just walking down the street. Hey, you. Yes you. What am I drinking? Right, it's Coke. Can you believe these jerks who think I am drinking Pepsi?

This analogy is brought to you by the real Coke and people who are not willfully deceived.

PM me if this is too opaque.

Post subject: Re: I am drinking Coke
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:29 pm 
God

I took a part time job once merchandising (stocking) Coke. Nasty stuff.

Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
A lesson on 'Faggotry' for Kevin Graham; a legitimately descriptive and even positive term used by homosexuals themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:52 pm 
God

Gadianton Plumber wrote:
I have two cans of soda. One of Coke and one of Pepsi. I open both cans. I pour out the substance contained in the red can and refill it with the substance from the blue one. I now throw away the blue can and take a sip.

See me? I am drinking Coke. And if you doubt that, just look at the can. What does it say? It says Coca Cola. Are you denying that it says this? Why are you so cruel to suggest that I am not drinking Coke? In fact all you watching who are drinking from red cans, yes you, you are impostors and are drinking Pepsi.

No! Don't tell me you saw me put Pepsi into the Coke can! You are a bigot and have no sense of taxonomy. It is clear for all to see it is Coke. Let me ask this man just walking down the street. Hey, you. Yes you. What am I drinking? Right, it's Coke. Can you believe these jerks who think I am drinking Pepsi?

This analogy is brought to you by the real Coke and people who are not willfully deceived.

Totally get it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 pm 
God

Visusal representation for those who need it:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:53 am 
I am bumping this so I can have some comments, darnit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 am 
God

Gadianton Plumber wrote:

Comment. What's to comment about? It's plain what you're saying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:14 pm 
Hermit

Hi GP,

No guarantees that I've caught your intention here, but I can see some lessons in your metaphor applicable to apologetics. To my mind, the "Coke" label = "Christian" and from there your instruction should be self-explanatory. But if you want to know how to get banned from MAD really fast, don't just point out that they're really drinking Pepsi, walk south down the street until you see the guy and three women dressed in home-spun clothes also holding Pepsi cans and acknowledge their drinks as Pepsi to because the label says so.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm 
Hermit

P.S. I am pleased to see you wear your new duties with pride. This is a serious issue, you have my direct extension and if you believe there is the slightest chance the apologists will ever publish something peer reviewed, you dial, and we'll see if we can find a bigger piece of paper.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 pm 
God

It is always important to remember the proper ratio of Bacardi mixed in during the can transfer. With a very mild head buzz being the goal, just enough for ... "ya know, that was tasty, I think I'll have another"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:25 pm 
God

Gadianton Plumber wrote:

What the heck do you consider my posts, chopped liver? I even gave you a visual.

Sheesh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am 
midnight rambler

bcspace wrote:
I took a part time job once merchandising (stocking) Coke. Nasty stuff.

I can tolerate 'Coke' a lot easier than I am now able to tolerate 'Pepsi', whether from a red or a blue can. And I drank gallons of Pepsi for about 26 years. Truth be known, I much prefer coffee to either of those today. I can't handle that much sugar these days.

EDIT: The entirety of this post is metaphorical; it is only literal in the sense that I do prefer coffee to any sugared or artificially sweetened drink. But the intent of the post is metaphorical.

Last edited by Nimrod on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:51 pm 
God

When I was 15 at stake youth conference I asked my bishop why he was drinking coke as it was against the WoW. He told me it was a personal issue. I did this to express my disappointment in him. Why did I do that? Probably because I felt guilty for lying to him once before.

All of this trouble stirred up out of thin air for no reason. I was worried about fake problems instead of things that mattered.

That is my take on your analogy. I know it's not what you intended but Mormons love analogies.
:)

The Holy Sacrament.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:08 pm 
God

All these analogies are making my head hurt. I guess since the Great and Abominable Church poured out all the plain and precious soda, this is all we have left, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm 
midnight rambler

CaliforniaKid wrote:
All these analogies are making my head hurt. I guess since the Great and Abominable Church poured out all the plain and precious soda, this is all we have left, eh?

Chris, did you mean the Great and Abominable Bowl of Punch?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:08 pm 
God

Gadianton Plumber wrote:
I have two cans of soda.

How neat that you have two colas. Colas come in many types. Some adhering to slight variants of the Coca Cola formula and those with a differing formulas.

I usually drink diet although I also like the sugary colas. I sometimes miss Royal Crown Cola. When I was a kid I disliked the Shasta and Cragmont brands of cola. I may have spent time protesting against these brands back then. Not true colas I may have shouted.

If you hold colas up to the light you will see they are not truly opaque, they are just bottled that way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 pm 
God

I love the taste of Coca-Cola.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:47 am 
Stake President

Hmmm...perhaps I would just ask to take a drink of your 'coke', and once I tasted, for myself, that it was indeed Pepsi, then I would know that you were a liar. It is rather quite simple. I also seem to recall something about the fruit of a given tree...

"Wo unto them that are wise in their own eyes and prudent in their own sight!" Isaiah 5:21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:26 pm 
God

Gordon wrote:
Hmmm...perhaps I would just ask to take a drink of your 'coke', and once I tasted, for myself, that it was indeed Pepsi, then I would know that you were a liar. It is rather quite simple. I also seem to recall something about the fruit of a given tree...

I might be very confused, but I think that was one of the main points of the OP???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:37 am 
Stake President

RockSlider wrote:
I might be very confused, but I think that was one of the main points of the OP???

I don't think so. The OP wants us to believe, in his analogy, that he is drinking Coke merely because the can is a Coke can, when he actually has Pepsi in that can.

"Wo unto them that are wise in their own eyes and prudent in their own sight!" Isaiah 5:21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:14 am 
God

Gordon wrote:
RockSlider wrote:

I don't think so. The OP wants us to believe, in his analogy, that he is drinking Coke merely because the can is a Coke can, when he actually has Pepsi in that can.

"Wants us" (i.e. Coke drinkers) to believe "he is drinking Coke" - closet Pepsi drinker. But as you noted eariler, when one of the "us" tastes his drink, it's clearly obvious that it is not Coke, but indeed Pepsi being paraded as Coke.

I guess I'm just totally confused about the OP.

Why in the world did the Pepsi drinker want to put his Pepsi in the Coke can in the first place?

Silly goose.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:02 am 
To be accepted by the Coke drinkers of course. I am very scared that the merits of Pepsi don't stand on their own.