Did Pres. Hinckley tell the truth when he said:

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Did Pres. Hinckley tell the truth when he said:

Post by _gramps »

I'm paraphrasing here: We stopped polygamy in 1890.

What say you? Ja oder nein?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

As I recall, the church is now very careful to phrase it so that it sounds like they're saying we stopped in 1890, but excuses what actually happened. It goes something like this: "The church stopped publicly teaching polygamy in 1890." This is true for the most part, and yet excuses the polygamy that went on after it.

I know, this pretty much contradicts what the church used to say, when it was much firmer in saying polygamy had stopped in 1890. But there it is.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Sethbag wrote:As I recall, the church is now very careful to phrase it so that it sounds like they're saying we stopped in 1890, but excuses what actually happened. It goes something like this: "The church stopped publicly teaching polygamy in 1890." This is true for the most part, and yet excuses the polygamy that went on after it.

I know, this pretty much contradicts what the church used to say, when it was much firmer in saying polygamy had stopped in 1890. But there it is.

Thanks for that response. Do you have some references for that? I seem to think Hinckley didn't quite say it that way. Was it when he was on Larry King, that I am thinking of? I would love to see current examples of how they are phrasing it now.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland