Question about Evolution of Temple Ordinances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Question about Evolution of Temple Ordinances

Post by _Trinity »

I have been reading Bushman's Rough Stone Rolling and had flashbacks to some pictures I had seen a long time ago of original bathtubs used in the temple.

Bushman speculates that some of the ordinances Joseph instituted were throwbacks to Old Testament references because of the items and processes involved. In particular, here is a bit of text about the washings and anointings ordinance:

Met in the evening with bro. Joseph Smith, jr. at his house, in company with bro. John Corrill, and after pure water was prepared, called upon the Lord and proceeded to wash each other's bodies, and bathe the same with whiskey, perfumed with cinnamon. This we did that we might be clearn before the Lord for the Sabbath, confessing our sins and covenanting to be faithful to God. While performing this washing unto the Lord with solemnity, our minds were filled with many reflections upon the propriety of the same, and how the priests anciently used to wash always before ministering before the Lord. (Rough Stone Rolling, pg 311)

Obviously, things have changed a bit in terms of temple activities since the time of Joseph. I am curious if anyone has information about how these ordinances evolved? I'm quite familiar with the timeline and material changes in the regular session, but have not ever run up against a timeline for when the washings and anointings, and perhaps wedding ordinances were changed.

Any information you could provide me would be great.
"I think one of the great mysteries of the gospel is that anyone still believes it." Sethbag, MADB, Feb 22 2008
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

The most complete treatise I have read on the topic is, The Mysteries of Godliness. I do not recall it giving exact dates of various changes but it does a pretty good job of describing the evolution of the ceremony.

Yes the washing and annointing ritual has made some drastic changes from the early days.

Originally, a man or woman would sit naked in a bathtub while several others, would wash their bodies and then pour oil over them.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Post by _Trinity »

Thanks TruthDancer! I've not ever heard of this book before. I'll go check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Godline ... F8&s=books
"I think one of the great mysteries of the gospel is that anyone still believes it." Sethbag, MADB, Feb 22 2008
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Question about Evolution of Temple Ordinances

Post by _harmony »

Obviously, things have changed a bit in terms of temple activities since the time of Joseph. I am curious if anyone has information about how these ordinances evolved? I'm quite familiar with the timeline and material changes in the regular session, but have not ever run up against a timeline for when the washings and anointings, and perhaps wedding ordinances were changed.

Any information you could provide me would be great.

The washing and anointing changed just a few years ago, and the weddings changed just within the last few months.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hey Harmony...

So, in terms of a sealing, I heard that sealers are no longer to give a little message, so basically, is the sealing just the actual sealing... the words over the alter?

I'm thinking rather than a 20 minute ceremony it must be down to about five minutes?

Do you know the specifics?

Thanks,

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

truth dancer wrote:Hey Harmony...

So, in terms of a sealing, I heard that sealers are no longer to give a little message, so basically, is the sealing just the actual sealing... the words over the alter?

I'm thinking rather than a 20 minute ceremony it must be down to about five minutes?

Do you know the specifics?

Thanks,

~dancer~

The sealer reads from the paper, and that's it.

Evidently there'd been altogether too much "advice" given by the sealers. And the whole "look in the mirror and see eternity" thing was kicked to the curb too.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

harmony wrote:And the whole "look in the mirror and see eternity" thing was kicked to the curb too.

That's a shame - that part was actually kind of cool (and it's the only thing I remember from my sister's sealing ceremony years ago).

Edited to add: WooHoo! Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam! I've outgrown the Nursery!
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)