It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:07 pm 
God

Gazelam wrote:
Alma 32:21
And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen,which are true.

Scratch, you haven't proffesed a belief in anything! All you have done is a silly dance with words. I asked you to give a simple commentary on a few verses in the New Testament concerning the physical ressurection and you couldent even do that, becasue to do so you would have to make a stand on a principle. Because your testimony is weak as water, you are obviously incapable.

The next time you want to critique a fellow poster remember the old addage to first pluck the beam from your own eye before worrying about someone elses splinters.

Gazelam, I think you just have a problem understanding an answer that isn't a scripture quote, accompanied with a cheezy LDS picture attached.

Now, go ahead, Gazelam, make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:21 pm 
God

gramps wrote:
...make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers.."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 pm 
God

moksha wrote:

Funny little penquin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:19 pm 
God

moksha wrote:
gramps wrote:
...make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

Too funny. I didn't know the church had such pictures. Did you get that from a book of Mormon recipes for Macaroni and Cheese or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:20 pm 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)

gramps wrote:
Too funny. I didn't know the church had such pictures. Did you get that from a book of Mormon recipes for Macaroni and Cheese or what?

Wouldn't that be Moroni and Cheese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:25 pm 
God

Bond...James Bond wrote:
gramps wrote:

Wouldn't that be Moroni and Cheese?

Well, that would probably taste better than the stuff I was raised on. Of course, I used to fish with it, too, come to think of it. That should have told me something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:26 pm 
Master Mahan

gramps wrote:
Gazelam wrote:
Alma 32:21
And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen,which are true.

Scratch, you haven't proffesed a belief in anything! All you have done is a silly dance with words. I asked you to give a simple commentary on a few verses in the New Testament concerning the physical ressurection and you couldent even do that, becasue to do so you would have to make a stand on a principle. Because your testimony is weak as water, you are obviously incapable.

The next time you want to critique a fellow poster remember the old addage to first pluck the beam from your own eye before worrying about someone elses splinters.

Gazelam, I think you just have a problem understanding an answer that isn't a scripture quote, accompanied with a cheezy LDS picture attached.

Now, go ahead, Gazelam, make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

What I find so funny about Gazelam's heavy reliance upon scripture is that half the time his readings of the texts are totally wrong! He tosses out these quotes, but all too often seems not to understand what they are saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:30 pm 
Lightbearer

Scratch:
Quote:
What I find so funny about Gazelam's heavy reliance upon scripture is that half the time his readings of the texts are totally wrong! He tosses out these quotes, but all too often seems not to understand what they are saying.

Example please. You actually expounding on a scripture would be a welcome change from your usual posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:55 am 
God

Well, I don't know...I like scratch. True, I think that he should change his screen name but in general he comes across as a pretty decent guy. Now Of course, I do not mind if in his dossier, he made me sound just a little insane with a 'persecution' complex. Why heck, he was just having a little fun and nothing wrong with that. But of course, he could change it just a little to make me sound like the great guy that I am. And of course, he has gotten to know me just a tad bit better now.

And I am not saying this because I defended scratch on the other board, but because I know that scratch has a good heart. And we all know this fact, right?

And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 am 
God

why me wrote:
And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!

I will give a tug on my Pepsi. No need to ask what Bond will be drinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:26 am 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)

why me wrote:
Well, I don't know...I like scratch. True, I think that he should change his screen name but in general he comes across as a pretty decent guy. Now Of course, I do not mind if in his dossier, he made me sound just a little insane with a 'persecution' complex. Why heck, he was just having a little fun and nothing wrong with that. But of course, he could change it just a little to make me sound like the great guy that I am. And of course, he has gotten to know me just a tad bit better now.

And I am not saying this because I defended scratch on the other board, but because I know that scratch has a good heart. And we all know this fact, right?

We need an Oscar parody. The Mormies perhaps? What catagories would be included?

What should Scratch change his name too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 am 
God

Gazelam wrote:
Scratch:
Quote:

Example please. You actually expounding on a scripture would be a welcome change from your usual posts.

Actually, Gazelam, you, expounding on a scripture, rather than just quoting them again and again, would be a really nice thing to see. And, more so, to read. But that would require thinking through what you are quoting. Perhaps that's just too much to ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 am 
God

Bond...James Bond wrote:

What should Scratch change his name too?

Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary. Unless of course Mr. Scratch has a severe itching problem.

What about Mr. Versatile? :=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:32 am 
Why Me wrote:
Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary.

Actually, Scratch stated in an earlier thread that his pseudonymn is referring to "scratching the surface" of ideas.

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 am 
God

liz3564 wrote:
Why Me wrote:
Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary.

Actually, Scratch stated in an earlier thread that his pseudonymn is referring to "scratching the surface" of ideas.

;)

Well, now, you see, good ol' scratch is a-okay with me. Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.

Maybe, Scratch can find a different name so he would not be confused with the adversary. How about Mr. Scratcher. I like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:54 am 
Why Me wrote:
Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.

Really? I didn't assume he meant the adversary, and I consider myself a part of the LDS community.

I have heard this reference referred to in a couple of very obscure religion class discussions at BYU over 20 years ago, but nothing in the last decade or so.

Scratch....you have a decent knowledge of Church history. Was this something you were aware of, and if it was, did it have anything to do with how you selected your pseudonymn?

Edited to add----Does anyone happen to know where this reference of "Scratch" being a nickname for the devil is located? I would be interested in reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am 
liz3564 wrote:
Scratch....you have a decent knowledge of Church history. Was this something you were aware of, and if it was, did it have anything to do with how you selected your pseudonymn?

Edited to add----Does anyone happen to know where this reference of "Scratch" being a nickname for the devil is located? I would be interested in reading it.

The name "Mr. Scratch" has long been known in literature to mean the devil. See the short story by Steven Vincent Benet, "The Devil and Daniel Webster."

The name appeared before this reference in burlesque.

P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 am 
Master Mahan

liz3564 wrote:
Why Me wrote:
Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.

Really? I didn't assume he meant the adversary, and I consider myself a part of the LDS community.

I have heard this reference referred to in a couple of very obscure religion class discussions at BYU over 20 years ago, but nothing in the last decade or so.

rcrocket is right. The handle is a tacit acknowledgment on my part that criticism of the Church necessarily entails adopting a sort of "Devil's Advocate" kind of stance. And, of course, it also has to do with "scratching the surface," as you noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:48 pm 
God

Mister Scratch wrote:
rcrocket is right. The handle is a tacit acknowledgment on my part that criticism of the Church necessarily entails adopting a sort of "Devil's Advocate" kind of stance. And, of course, it also has to do with "scratching the surface," as you noted.

Or it could mean you are typing away deep in some subterranean cavern and flicking the enter key with your tail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:21 pm 
Master Mahan

why me wrote:

I'll tell you what, Why Me: I'll make you a deal. If you lure five posters on MAD over to here, I will go ahead and do the revisions to your dossier. What do you say? Would you care to sign---in blood---on the dotted line? ; )

Post subject: Gramps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm 
Lightbearer

How about my Son of the Morning thread?: http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=187

Whats in a Name?: http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=273

Our Part in the Feast:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=392&start=0

Why we celebrate the birth of Christ:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=536&start=0

A different Jesus:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=773&start=0

I know I've answered other things around here where I've discussed passages.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next