It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:07 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 am
Posts: 2485
Location: In an Utrecht coffeehouse with my lady friend
Gazelam wrote:
Alma 32:21
And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen,which are true.

Scratch, you haven't proffesed a belief in anything! All you have done is a silly dance with words. I asked you to give a simple commentary on a few verses in the New Testament concerning the physical ressurection and you couldent even do that, becasue to do so you would have to make a stand on a principle. Because your testimony is weak as water, you are obviously incapable.

The next time you want to critique a fellow poster remember the old addage to first pluck the beam from your own eye before worrying about someone elses splinters.


Gazelam, I think you just have a problem understanding an answer that isn't a scripture quote, accompanied with a cheezy LDS picture attached.

Now, go ahead, Gazelam, make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

_________________
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:21 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19525
Location: Koloburbia
gramps wrote:
...make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

Image
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers.."

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm
Posts: 18195
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
moksha wrote:
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers.."


Funny little penquin!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:19 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 am
Posts: 2485
Location: In an Utrecht coffeehouse with my lady friend
moksha wrote:
gramps wrote:
...make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.

Image
"Blessed are the Cheesemakers.."


Too funny. I didn't know the church had such pictures. Did you get that from a book of Mormon recipes for Macaroni and Cheese or what?

_________________
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:20 pm 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 4627
Location: MI6-Private Quarters
gramps wrote:
Too funny. I didn't know the church had such pictures. Did you get that from a book of Mormon recipes for Macaroni and Cheese or what?


Wouldn't that be Moroni and Cheese?

_________________
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:25 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 am
Posts: 2485
Location: In an Utrecht coffeehouse with my lady friend
Bond...James Bond wrote:
gramps wrote:
Too funny. I didn't know the church had such pictures. Did you get that from a book of Mormon recipes for Macaroni and Cheese or what?


Wouldn't that be Moroni and Cheese?


Well, that would probably taste better than the stuff I was raised on. Of course, I used to fish with it, too, come to think of it. That should have told me something.

_________________
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:26 pm 
Master Mahan

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 5604
gramps wrote:
Gazelam wrote:
Alma 32:21
And now as I said concerning faith - faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen,which are true.

Scratch, you haven't proffesed a belief in anything! All you have done is a silly dance with words. I asked you to give a simple commentary on a few verses in the New Testament concerning the physical ressurection and you couldent even do that, becasue to do so you would have to make a stand on a principle. Because your testimony is weak as water, you are obviously incapable.

The next time you want to critique a fellow poster remember the old addage to first pluck the beam from your own eye before worrying about someone elses splinters.


Gazelam, I think you just have a problem understanding an answer that isn't a scripture quote, accompanied with a cheezy LDS picture attached.

Now, go ahead, Gazelam, make my day and respond with another cheezy picture.


What I find so funny about Gazelam's heavy reliance upon scripture is that half the time his readings of the texts are totally wrong! He tosses out these quotes, but all too often seems not to understand what they are saying.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:30 pm 
Lightbearer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: las vegas
Scratch:
Quote:
What I find so funny about Gazelam's heavy reliance upon scripture is that half the time his readings of the texts are totally wrong! He tosses out these quotes, but all too often seems not to understand what they are saying.


Example please. You actually expounding on a scripture would be a welcome change from your usual posts.

_________________
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:55 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 pm
Posts: 9589
Well, I don't know...I like scratch. True, I think that he should change his screen name but in general he comes across as a pretty decent guy. Now Of course, I do not mind if in his dossier, he made me sound just a little insane with a 'persecution' complex. Why heck, he was just having a little fun and nothing wrong with that. But of course, he could change it just a little to make me sound like the great guy that I am. And of course, he has gotten to know me just a tad bit better now.

And I am not saying this because I defended scratch on the other board, but because I know that scratch has a good heart. And we all know this fact, right?

And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19525
Location: Koloburbia
why me wrote:
And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!

I will give a tug on my Pepsi. No need to ask what Bond will be drinking.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:26 am 
He-Who-Has-Not-Sinned (Recently)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm
Posts: 4627
Location: MI6-Private Quarters
why me wrote:
Well, I don't know...I like scratch. True, I think that he should change his screen name but in general he comes across as a pretty decent guy. Now Of course, I do not mind if in his dossier, he made me sound just a little insane with a 'persecution' complex. Why heck, he was just having a little fun and nothing wrong with that. But of course, he could change it just a little to make me sound like the great guy that I am. And of course, he has gotten to know me just a tad bit better now.

And I am not saying this because I defended scratch on the other board, but because I know that scratch has a good heart. And we all know this fact, right?

And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!


We need an Oscar parody. The Mormies perhaps? What catagories would be included?

What should Scratch change his name too?

_________________
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 am
Posts: 2485
Location: In an Utrecht coffeehouse with my lady friend
Gazelam wrote:
Scratch:
Quote:
What I find so funny about Gazelam's heavy reliance upon scripture is that half the time his readings of the texts are totally wrong! He tosses out these quotes, but all too often seems not to understand what they are saying.


Example please. You actually expounding on a scripture would be a welcome change from your usual posts.


Actually, Gazelam, you, expounding on a scripture, rather than just quoting them again and again, would be a really nice thing to see. And, more so, to read. But that would require thinking through what you are quoting. Perhaps that's just too much to ask?

_________________
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:36 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 pm
Posts: 9589
Bond...James Bond wrote:


What should Scratch change his name too?


Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary. Unless of course Mr. Scratch has a severe itching problem.

What about Mr. Versatile? :=)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:32 am 
Why Me wrote:
Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary.


Actually, Scratch stated in an earlier thread that his pseudonymn is referring to "scratching the surface" of ideas.

;)


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:48 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:19 pm
Posts: 9589
liz3564 wrote:
Why Me wrote:
Well, I don't know but I have this feeling that Scratch is a nickname for the adversary.


Actually, Scratch stated in an earlier thread that his pseudonymn is referring to "scratching the surface" of ideas.

;)

Well, now, you see, good ol' scratch is a-okay with me. Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.

Maybe, Scratch can find a different name so he would not be confused with the adversary. How about Mr. Scratcher. I like that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:54 am 
Why Me wrote:
Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.


Really? I didn't assume he meant the adversary, and I consider myself a part of the LDS community.

I have heard this reference referred to in a couple of very obscure religion class discussions at BYU over 20 years ago, but nothing in the last decade or so.

Scratch....you have a decent knowledge of Church history. Was this something you were aware of, and if it was, did it have anything to do with how you selected your pseudonymn?

Edited to add----Does anyone happen to know where this reference of "Scratch" being a nickname for the devil is located? I would be interested in reading it.


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am 
liz3564 wrote:
Scratch....you have a decent knowledge of Church history. Was this something you were aware of, and if it was, did it have anything to do with how you selected your pseudonymn?

Edited to add----Does anyone happen to know where this reference of "Scratch" being a nickname for the devil is located? I would be interested in reading it.


The name "Mr. Scratch" has long been known in literature to mean the devil. See the short story by Steven Vincent Benet, "The Devil and Daniel Webster."

The name appeared before this reference in burlesque.

P


Top
  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:47 am 
Master Mahan

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 5604
liz3564 wrote:
Why Me wrote:
Of course in the LDS community, one will assume that he meant the adversary. I have heard of the adversary referred as Scratch on occasions.


Really? I didn't assume he meant the adversary, and I consider myself a part of the LDS community.

I have heard this reference referred to in a couple of very obscure religion class discussions at BYU over 20 years ago, but nothing in the last decade or so.

Scratch....you have a decent knowledge of Church history. Was this something you were aware of, and if it was, did it have anything to do with how you selected your pseudonymn?

Edited to add----Does anyone happen to know where this reference of "Scratch" being a nickname for the devil is located? I would be interested in reading it.


rcrocket is right. The handle is a tacit acknowledgment on my part that criticism of the Church necessarily entails adopting a sort of "Devil's Advocate" kind of stance. And, of course, it also has to do with "scratching the surface," as you noted.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:48 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 19525
Location: Koloburbia
Mister Scratch wrote:
rcrocket is right. The handle is a tacit acknowledgment on my part that criticism of the Church necessarily entails adopting a sort of "Devil's Advocate" kind of stance. And, of course, it also has to do with "scratching the surface," as you noted.

Or it could mean you are typing away deep in some subterranean cavern and flicking the enter key with your tail.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:21 pm 
Master Mahan

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 5604
why me wrote:
Well, I don't know...I like scratch. True, I think that he should change his screen name but in general he comes across as a pretty decent guy. Now Of course, I do not mind if in his dossier, he made me sound just a little insane with a 'persecution' complex. Why heck, he was just having a little fun and nothing wrong with that. But of course, he could change it just a little to make me sound like the great guy that I am. And of course, he has gotten to know me just a tad bit better now.

And I am not saying this because I defended scratch on the other board, but because I know that scratch has a good heart. And we all know this fact, right?

And so, on this Oscar night, I raise my glass of Sprite Zero to Scratch! Here, Here!!


I'll tell you what, Why Me: I'll make you a deal. If you lure five posters on MAD over to here, I will go ahead and do the revisions to your dossier. What do you say? Would you care to sign---in blood---on the dotted line? ; )


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Gramps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm 
Lightbearer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: las vegas
How about my Son of the Morning thread?: http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=187

Whats in a Name?: http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=273

Our Part in the Feast:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=392&start=0

Why we celebrate the birth of Christ:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=536&start=0

A different Jesus:http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=773&start=0

I know I've answered other things around here where I've discussed passages.

_________________
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fence Sitter and 53 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group