New Egyptian Tombs found. More Book of Abrahams to come?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Sethbag wrote:
Brackite: yeah, I love these lists of reasons why the BoB is almost certainly the source papyrus for the BoB. What really makes me laugh is when both sides say exactly the same thing, and yet mean it so differently.

Example:
Critic: Joseph Smith didn't "translate" the Book of Abraham from this papyrus, because the Book of Breathings, on the papyrus, is actually something else entirely.
Apologist: Joseph Smith couldn't have translated the Book of Abraham from this papyrus, because the papyrus has the Book of Breathings on it, which is something else.

Isn't this just totally bizarre?

Hi There,

The LDS Apologist Jeff Lindsay on his Book of Abraham Page Part I, has also made a statement that is very similiar to the statement that you wrote that the LDS Apologists will make about the Book of Abraham couldn't have been translated from the Book of Breathings. Here is what Jeff Lindsay stated about this:

To those who insist that no legitimate translation of the Book of Breathings could possibly result in the Book of Abraham, I agree!

( http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_Abraham.shtml )

However, the evidence is very overwhelming that Joseph Smith along with his scribes believed that the Book of Breathings translated into the Book of Abraham. Please (Re)-Check out and Read Some of the information that I already provided here. Please also Check Out and Read:

"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

The Book of Joseph

Post by _Brackite »

The LDS Apologist Jeff Lindsay not only proclaims that the Book of Breathings was not what Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowedery thought and believed contained the Book of Abraham, Jeff Lindsay also proclaims that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery did not think and believe that the Book of the Dead contained the Book of Joseph. The Following is from Jeff Lindsay's Book of Abraham Part I, Web Site Page:

The Book of the Dead as the "missing" scroll with red ink?

The following text has been posted in the alt.religion.Mormon USENET group and was kindly sent to me by its author, with permission to use it. I have not included the first half of the text which provides background and presents the case for two scrolls (Oliver Cowdery's letter refers to two scrolls, and W. Phelps spoke of "two scrolls and other ancient writings" with respect to the Books of Abraham and Joseph). The argument is made that the Book of Abraham was taken from the existing fragments, since Facsimile 1 was attached to the Book of Breathings. The author then argues that the existing fragments from the Book of the Dead were the Book of Joseph:

Let us return once again to the description of the papyrus under dispute. Both the DHC and Cowdery's letter contain the same description. We can break the quote down into points as follows:
a) ...beautifully written upon papyrus...
b) ...with black, and a small part, red ink or paint...
c) ..in perfect preservation...
(DHC Vol 2, p. 348 and [Cowdery, 1835]).

We have already observed that the Book of Breathings does not match this description. But what of the other roll, the Book of the Dead? This roll, it turns out, is 'beautifully written', is in a good state of preservation, and, most important of all, contains numerous, easily visible rubrics (red paint). The conclusion is obvious. When Oliver Cowdery gave his description of '...the writings of Abraham and Joseph...', he gave pride of place to the Book of the Dead roll, and tended to leave the Book of Breathings out of his discussion. Is there any evidence to back up this conclusion? Yes - later in the same letter, Cowdery gives a description of the 'record'.

'The representation of the god-head--three, yet in one, is curiously drawn...'
'The serpent, represented as walking, or formed in a manner to be able to walk, standing in front of, and near a female figure...'
'Enoch's pillar, as mentioned by Josephus, is upon the same roll.'
'The inner end of the same roll, (Joseph's record), presents a representation of the judgment.'

The first three of these figures can easily be picked out of the Book of the Dead scroll now in the possession of the Church. (They are contained on papyrus fragments JSP IV and JSP V). The inner end of the roll was not recovered with the other papyri from the New York Met, but, if it followed the many other copies of the Book of the Dead still extant, it would have contained a vignette of the deceased being led into the presence of Osiris, as described by Cowdery.

There is therefore strong evidence that the papyrus roll that Joseph Smith said contained the writings of Joseph in Egypt is now in the possession of the Church....

There is therefore no basis for the charge that there is a 'missing scroll' from which the Book of Abraham was translated. Further, in examining the handwritten manuscripts of the Book of Abraham, made by Joseph Smith's scribes under his direction, it soon becomes obvious that the Book of Breathings was, in fact, the very source of the Book of Abraham, as used by the Prophet. "

While concurring that the Book of Breathings does not contain red characters and does not appear to be "beautifully written" or "perfectly preserved," the argument is offered that the description of a scroll having red ink only applies to only one of two scrolls, and that the scroll with the red ink was the Book of Joseph, not the Book of Abraham. However, the description of the original scrolls makes no distinction between the Book of Abraham and the Book of Joseph. To say that Oliver was "giving pride of place" to only one record while seeming to describe both is unconvincing to me. Furthermore, other eyewitnesses, as noted above, described the papyrus records containing the writings of Abraham and Joseph in much the same terms, mentioning red and black ink, giving no hint that the two records looked different.
Further, I am not convinced that the Book of the Dead as found in the Joseph Smith Papyri (fragments IV and V in particular) is what Oliver Cowdery described, though the evidence can be viewed both ways. A portion of Oliver's description was offered above. Let's now examine his words more fully. The following is from Oliver Cowdery [Cowdery, 1835], with emphasis given to some phrases that will be important later:

"Upon the subject of the Egyptian records, or rather the writings of Abraham and Joseph, I may say a few words. This record is beautifully written on papyrus with black, and a small part, red ink or paint, in perfect preservation. The characters are such as you find upon the coffins of mummies, hieroglyphics and etc., with many characters or letters exactly like the present, though perhaps not quite so square form of the Hebrew without points.
"These records were obtained from one of the catacombs in Egypt, near the place where once stood the renowned city of Thebes, by the celebrated French traveller Antonio Sebolo [Lebolo], in the year 1831. . . .

"On opening the coffins he [Chandler] discovered that in connection with two of the bodies, were something rolled up with the same kind of linen, saturated with the same bitumen, which, when examined, proved to be two rolls of papyrus, previously mentioned. I may add that two or three other small pieces of papyrus, with astronomical calculations, epitaphs, &c. were found with others of the Mummies. . . ."

My note: there are two rolls that were "previously mentioned" - rolls with red and black ink. The small Book of Breathings - the few tiny fragments (JSP IV and V, and Facsimile 1) could well have been included among the other small pieces of papyrus found. Now on to page 235:

"While Mr. Chandler was in Philadelphia he used every exertion to find someone who would give him the translation of his papyrus, but could not satisfactorily, though from some few men of the 'first eminence' he obtained in a small degree the translation of a few characters.

"Here he was referred to Brother Smith. From Philadelphia he visited Harrisburg, [Pennsylvania] and other places east of the mountains, and was frequently referred to Brother Smith for the translation of his Egyptian relic.

"It would be beyond my purpose to follow this gentleman in his different circuits to the time he visited this place, the last of June or first of July, at which time he presented Brother Smith with his papyrus. Till then neither myself nor Brother Smith knew of such relics being in America. Mr. Chandler was told that his writings could be deciphered, and very politely gave me privileges of copying some four or five different sentences or separate pieces, stating at the same time, that unless he found someone who 'could give him a translation soon he would carry them to London.'

"I am a little in advance of my narrative. The morning Mr. Chandler first presented his papyrus to Brother Smith, he was shown by the latter, a number of characters like those upon the writings of Mr. C. [Chandler] which were previously copied from the plates containing the history of the Nephites, or Book of Mormon.

"Being solicited by Mr. Chandler to give an opinion concerning his antiquities, or a translation of some of the characters, Brother J. [Joseph] gave him the interpretation of some few for his satisfaction. . . .

"The language in which this record is written is very comprehensive, and many of the hieroglyphics exceedingly striking. The evidence is apparent upon the face, that they were written by persons acquainted with the history of the creation, the fall of man, and more or less of the correct ideas of notions of the Deity. The representation of the godhead -- three, yet in one, is curiously drawn to give simply, though impressively, the writers views of that exalted personage. The serpent, represented as walking, or formed in a manner to be able to walk, standing in front of, and near a female figure, is to me, one of the greatest representations I have ever seen upon paper, or a writing substance; and must go so far towards convincing the rational mind of the correctness and divine authority of the holy scriptures, and especially that part which has ever been assailed by the infidel community, as being a fiction, as to carry away, with one might sweep, the whole atheistical fabric, without leaving a vestige sufficient for a foundation stone. Enoch's Pillar, as mentioned by Josephus, is upon the same roll. -- True, our present version of the Bible does not mention this fact, though it speaks of the righteousness of Abel and the holiness of Enoch, -- one slain because his offering was accepted of the Lord, and the other taken to the regions of everlasting day without being confined to the narrow limits of the tomb, or tasting death; but Josephus says that the descendants of Seth were virtuous, and possessed a great knowledge of the heavenly bodies, and, that, in consequence of the prophecy of Adam, that the world should be destroyed once by water and again by fire, Enoch wrote a history or an account of the same, and put into two pillars one of brick and the other of stone; and that the same were in being at his (Josephus') day. The inner end of the same roll, (Joseph's record) presents a representation of the judgment: At one view you behold the Savior seated upon his throne, crowned, and holding the sceptres of righteousness and power, before whom also, are assembled the twelve tribes of Israel, the nations, languages and tongues of the earth, the kingdoms of the world over which Satan is represented as reigning. Michael the archangel, holding the key of the bottomless pit, and at the same time the devil as being chained and shut up in the bottomless pit. But upon this last scene, I am able only to give you a shadow, to the real picture. I am certain it cannot be viewed without filling the mind with awe, unless the mind is far estranged from God: and I sincerely hope, that mine may never go so far astray, nor wander from those rational principles of the doctrine of our Savior, so much, as to become darkened in the least, and thereby fail to have that, to us, the greatest of all days, and the most sublime of all transactions, so impressively fixed upon the heart, that I become not like the beast, not knowing wither I am going, nor what shall be my final end!

"I might continue my communication to a great length upon the different figures and characters represented upon the two rolls, but I have no doubt my subject has already become sufficiently prolix for your patience: I will therefore soon cease for the present. -- When the translation of these valuable documents will be completed, I am unable to say; neither can I give you a probably idea how large volumes they will make; but judging from their size, and the comprehensiveness of the language, one might reasonably expect to see a [work] sufficient to develop much upon the mighty acts of the ancient men of God, and of his dealing with the children of men when they saw him face to face. Be there little or much, it must be an inestimable acquisition to our present scriptures, fulfilling, in a small degree, the word of the prophet: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

"P. S. You will have understood from the foregoing, that eleven Mummies were taken from the catacomb, at the time of which I have been speaking, and nothing definite having been said as to their disposal, I may, with propriety add a few words. Seven of the said eleven were purchased by gentlemen for private museums, previous to Mr. Chandler's visit to this place, with a small quantity of papyrus, similar, (as he says) to the astronomical representation, contained with the present two rolls, of which I previously spoke, and the remaining four by gentlemen resident here.

Consider the many elements Oliver mentions. Some say that three of these can be found in fragments IV and V. An obvious match is the walking serpent, for fragment V depicts a serpent standing on two legs, its tail poised as high as its head, standing in front of, but removed from, a woman. But this does not seem to be the same drawing that was on the scrolls Oliver referred to, for Charlotte Haven, the non-LDS visitor to Nauvoo mentioned [above, also described the walking serpent that she saw on one of two rolls (and this at a time when our fragments of today apparently were already mounted). She said the serpent "was standing on the tip of his tail, which with his two legs formed a tripod, and had his head in Eve's ear." Fragment V shows a serpent that is not standing on his tail, that does not form a "tripod," and that does not have his head near the woman's ear. I suggest that she saw a scroll other than the present Book of the Dead.
Previously, I could not recognize a three-yet-one depiction of the godhead in the Joseph Smith papyri, but I stand corrected, for a closeup photo of fragment 4 (kindly sent to me by a non-LDS student of this topic) shows a drawing that could be interpreted as a three-in-one image. It almost looks like a profile of three people sitting next to each other. Three heads are visible in the profile, but it looks like there are two bodies, not just one, yet it could be the image (or type of image) that Oliver referred to. (Another figure on that fragment is nearly identical to one of the figures on Facsimile 2, so we need not assume that the figures on any of these fragments are unique and were not present on other portions of the scrolls that Joseph had.)

The third Book of Joseph image that is said to be recognizable in the Book of the Dead is the pillar of Enoch. One of the figures on fragment V shows what could be a pillar - looking like a short column (ca. 4 feet high) with a scepter on top. Could this be "Enoch's pillar"? Oliver describes it as an astronomical representation, and in his "P.S." again mentions an "astronomical representation" in the scrolls he has described. I see nothing on this plain diagram to suggest astronomical depictions of any kind. The issue is unsettled, but it could be what Oliver saw.

Most noteworthy is the judgment scene that Oliver describes as being so magnificent and complex. The citation above from a critical source, as posted to a USENET group, says that the final portion of the Book of the Dead, missing from the recovered fragments, "would have contained a vignette of the deceased being led into the presence of Osiris, as described by Cowdery." This argument fails, in my opinion, for the typical Osiris scene in the Book of the Dead - which I have seen - is quite unlike the overwhelming, awe-inspiring (at least to Oliver) depiction that Oliver described. Could anyone please show me a Book of the Dead vignette featuring anything close to the "twelve tribes of Israel," the nations and kingdoms of the world "over which Satan is represented as reigning," or "Michael the archangel, holding the key of the bottomless pit," in which the devil is being chained? Of course, some may suggest that Oliver was reading these things into a much simpler but related image, but my reading of his words makes that seem improbable. I could be wrong, but I feel it is difficult to completely fit Oliver's description into the Book of the Dead, though there is a correspondence for at least two figures.

Again, it is important to note that the existing fragments show common elements and relationships to the scroll or scrolls that Joseph said contained the records of Abraham and Joseph. I think that the Joseph Smith papyri have some relationship to the scrolls that contained the Book of Abraham and Joseph, but suggest that they are not the same.

If Oliver thought that Joseph was translating the lengthy Book of Abraham, with its potential to fill volumes, from the tiny Book of Breathings, he must have thought that a single character could generate huge quantities of text. However, he mentions that he copied 4 or 5 sentences from the scroll for Joseph to translate. Joseph translated some of the characters, and Oliver saw nothing out of the "ordinary" compared to the translation process for the Book of Mormon. Oliver compares the Egyptian characters to those of the Book of Mormon. In the translation of the Book of Mormon, there was no evidence of single characters generating whole paragraphs of text. There appeared to have been a reasonable correlation between symbols and words, as in other languages. It looks like something similar happened for the Book of Abraham. If Joseph were suddenly attributing hundreds of words to a single character, Oliver should have been surprised, but instead he talks about copying sentences from the scroll and having Joseph translate them in a matter analogous to the Book of Mormon translation.

If Oliver recognized that groups of characters formed single sentences, and also imagined that volumes of sacred writings could be extracted from the scrolls, does it make any sense that any of the tiny fragments among the existing papyri were what he was referring to? I suspect he was referring to larger scrolls (yes, the plural is used in the record of Combs' sale) that were sold away only to perish in Chicago, and that the other fragments were smaller in comparison, though related and interesting, and containing Facsimile 1 and other related figures.

The issue of length.

A further reason for rejecting the few, tiny Joseph Smith Papyri fragments as the scrolls that Oliver referred to is their size. The existing fragments are few and small, typically only a few inches in extent. Oliver was uncertain as to how big the published "volumes" would be, "but judging from their size, and the comprehensiveness of the language, one might reasonably expect to see a [work] sufficient to develop much upon the mighty acts of the ancient men of God..." [Cowdery, 1835] . This points to records of considerable length.
Further, a non-LDS visitor, William S. West (whose 1837 brochure about his visit to Nauvoo is cited by Peterson, 1995, p. 25) said that the scrolls had enough material to fill a book larger than the Bible, hardly consistent with the tiny set of fragments we now have. Joseph spent many days translating the Book of Abraham, and had enough text already translated (but not published) to require hours to read, in contrast to the 30 minutes now needed to read the published version of the Book of Abraham, as related by Anson Call in 1838 (cited by Peterson, 1995, p. 140).

According to Hugh Nibley, Preston Nibley in 1906 visited the Nauvoo House with Joseph F. Smith who recalled "the familiar sight of 'Uncle Joseph' kneeling on the floor of the front room with Egyptian manuscripts spread out all around him, weighted down by rocks and books, as with intense concentration he would study a line of characters, jotting down his impressions in a little notebook as he went" [Nibley, 1968-a, pp. 17-18]. The 12 fragments in the existing collection can be comfortably placed on an averaged size desk for study, as Peterson personally attests [Peterson, 1995, p. 156], and would not occupy a large floor area as described. Also, if the papyrus documents that Joseph was studying had all been mounted on glass or backing paper, they would not have to be weighted down with rocks (though it is possible the mounting occurred later).

Finally, recall the letter of Charlotte Haven, another non-LDS visitor. She said that Mother Smith "opened a long roll of manuscript, saying it was 'the writing of Abraham and Isaac.'" It was not a short, stubby little fragment or two, but a long roll. Joseph's translation came from at least one lengthy scroll.

To me, the evidence suggests that the tiny collection of Joseph Smith Papyri is incomplete, and that the physical descriptions of the Books of Abraham and Joseph do not correspond with the existing fragments. Again, descriptions of both the physical appearance and the length contradict major claims of the critics. While there is still plenty of room for doubt (and for belief!), the case for the Sensen scroll (the Book of Breathings) as the source for the Book of Abraham seems inconsistent on multiple counts with some of the evidence, though there are reasons for seeing things otherwise.

I see the "missing red and black scroll" theory as a reasonable position: the scroll that Joseph Smith "translated" (used in the generation of the Book of Abraham - by whatever means) is missing and is not contained in the small set of fragments we have now, even though the existing fragments were related and were part of the original set of documents. Perhaps our humble Sensen fragments were already in fragment form when discovered, or perhaps they were the third "rudely executed" scroll found with one of the mummies, but I think they were not taken from the two major scrolls containing the writings of Abraham and Joseph, scrolls that were beautifully written with red and black ink, perfectly preserved, and so long and comprehensive as to generate volumes and cover a floor.

Of course, I could be wrong. Certainly some faithful LDS thinkers see things differently, as I have tried to show above.

( http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/FQ_Ab ... tml#joseph )
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

However, the Counter LDS Apologist named Akersamos, from the Zion Lighthouse Message Board, has responded to Jeff Lindsay's assertion. Here is what Akersamos wrote in response to LDS Apologist Jeff Lindsay a while ago, on the Zion Lighthouse Message Board:

Re: The Book of Joseph
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to directly contradicting one of Lindsay's assertions, the Appleby quote posted by Brent earlier derails a good deal of Lindsay's reasoning. It is interesting that he cites Appleby, but not the portion below (though the omission may rest with Jeff's source from John Gee).

Lindsay wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Furthermore, other eyewitnesses, as noted above, described the papyrus records containing the writings of Abraham and Joseph in much the same terms, mentioning red and black ink, giving no hint that the two records looked different.

Eyewitness William I. Appleby wrote in 1841:
Quote:
"There is a perceptible difference, between the writings, Joseph appears to have been the best scribe"

More on Jeff Lindsay...

Jeff also attempts to obscure the connection with the Pillar of Enoch. He cites Oliver Cowdery's entire reference to the Pillar of Enoch, but then proceeds to misinterpret what it says:
Quote:
Could this be "Enoch's pillar"? Oliver describes it as an astronomical representation, and in his "P.S." again mentions an "astronomical representation" in the scrolls he has described. I see nothing on this plain diagram to suggest astronomical depictions of any kind.

Oliver did not describe it as an astronomical representation. Jeff inexplicably arrives at that conclusion based on "the descendants of Seth were virtuous, and possessed a great knowledge of the heavenly bodies", which was a minor part of the miscellaneous detail Oliver provided from Josephus' account. The "astronomical representation" from the P.S. is in no way tied to the pillar description. Instead, it is a very vague mention, that would probably correspond to Facsimile 2.

It would have also been useful for Jeff to mention that the "pillar" from the Book of the Dead scroll clearly depicts the individual bricks or stones of which it is constructed--matching the "brick" or "stone" description from Josephus.

One more item on Jeff Lindsay...

Oliver Cowdery wrote:
Quote:
The inner end of the same roll, (Joseph's record) presents a representation of the judgment: At one view you behold the Savior seated upon his throne, crowned, and holding the sceptres of righteousness and power, before whom also, are assembled the twelve tribes of Israel, the nations, languages and tongues of the earth, the kingdoms of the world over which Satan is represented as reigning. Michael the archangel, holding the key of the bottomless pit, and at the same time the devil as being chained and shut up in the bottomless pit. But upon this last scene, I am able only to give you a shadow, to the real picture. I am certain it cannot be viewed without filling the mind with awe, unless the mind is far estranged from God

Jeff wrote:
Quote:
Most noteworthy is the judgment scene that Oliver describes as being so magnificent and complex. The citation above from a critical source, as posted to a USENET group, says that the final portion of the Book of the Dead, missing from the recovered fragments, "would have contained a vignette of the deceased being led into the presence of Osiris, as described by Cowdery." This argument fails, in my opinion, for the typical Osiris scene in the Book of the Dead - which I have seen - is quite unlike the overwhelming, awe-inspiring (at least to Oliver) depiction that Oliver described. Could anyone please show me a Book of the Dead vignette featuring anything close to the "twelve tribes of Israel," the nations and kingdoms of the world "over which Satan is represented as reigning," or "Michael the archangel, holding the key of the bottomless pit," in which the devil is being chained? Of course, some may suggest that Oliver was reading these things into a much simpler but related image, but my reading of his words makes that seem improbable.

Jeff needs to look harder. Here are a few (scroll all the way down to see multiple examples, some better than others):
www.crystalinks.com/egyptafterlife.html
www.touregypt.net/afterlife5.htm
www.touregypt.net/featurestories/dead.htm

Ammit the devourer = The devil
Anubis = Michael the archangel
Tribunal of gods* = 12 tribes of Israel
"Savior seated upon his throne, crowned, and holding the sceptres of righteousness and power" = Osiris seated in his throne, crowned, and holding a staff and flail.

* Actual numbers vary. I have seen some vignettes with 12, 13, dozens, < 12, etc. If the number were more than twelve on this particular Book of the Dead scroll, then Oliver could be treating the extras as the "nations" and "kingdoms " of the world.

Not only would a Book of the Dead scroll typically include such a vignette, but it would also be where Oliver located it: "at the inner end of the same roll" that contained the pillar, the trinity Godhead, and the walking snake facing the woman.

The bottom-line: not a single point of Oliver's description differs materially (including the "small part, red ink") from what is depicted on the Book of the Dead scroll in the Joseph Smith papyri collection held by the Church. Any differences are based on either the subjective opinions of Oliver Cowdery or Jeff Lindsay.

P.S. I would appreciate any links others might have to Book of the Dead judgment vignettes.

( http://p079.ezboard.com/fpacumenispages ... 61&stop=80 )

The Evidence is indeed very overwhelming that Joseph Smith along with Oliver Cowdery, both thought and believe that the Book of the Dead really contained the Book of Joseph.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Yo, Brackite, FORMAT YOU LINKS. When you post a raw URL like that, it breaks the page formating and forces people to have to sidescroll to read some of the posts. In the future do the following to your links...

Put some text that tells us what the link is here

Remove the spaces and it looks like this Test Link To MSN.com for sake of example
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_mentalgymnast

Post by _mentalgymnast »

harmony wrote:Sethbag is one of us.

MG: Brights?

Regards,
MG
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: New Egyptian Tombs found. More Book of Abrahams to come

Post by _The Nehor »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
SatanWasSetUp wrote:http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070221/D8NDP7I80.html

Certainly Joseph Smith didn't stumble upon the only Book of Abraham. With these new tombs being unveiled in these latter-days, it can only mean the lord is revealing more of his secrets o mankind. I can't wait for more Book of Breathings to be translated into Books of Abraham/Joseph/Moses/Noah, or whatever.
Abraham was illiterate, therefore it was impossible for him to scrawl anything remotely legible..

Huh?

Historians can't even agree on whether he was a real person or not and you can state with certainty that he was illiterate?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Pokatator
_Emeritus

Post by _Pokatator »

An excellent and most concise refresher on the Book of Abraham.

Perrrrxactly!!!

Kudos to Sethbag, Brackite, and of course, Kevin Graham!