It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Whatever happened. Book of Mormon translated prior to Smith.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 am 
God

A while back it was alleged that Royal Skousen mentioned in a fireside something about the Book of Mormon being translated prior to Joseph Smith.

Whatever happened with that?

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

Post subject: Re: Whatever happened. Book of Mormon translated prior to Smith.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:34 pm 
\m/ \m/

Hey, just me, do you have a link to Skousen, or posts about this?

And the truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off!!! UtahMike re the Kirtland and Nauvoo plural marriage essay, co-opting Gloria Steinem

Post subject: Re: Whatever happened. Book of Mormon translated prior to Sm
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm 
God

I recall Skousen or someone what preparing a book on what was in the lost 116 pages. Might that be what you are asking about?

"I consider them Christian not because of the church they go to on Sunday, but because of how they treat their fellow human beings." Ceeboo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:54 pm 
God

-

Last edited by Hasa Diga Eebowai on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:03 pm 
God

See:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/582 ... ge__st__40

And:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24574

Christopher Ralph: The discovery that the creators of South Park place a higher value on historical authenticity than do the Brethren creates spiritual shock-waves from which some members never recover.

Post subject: Re: Whatever happened. Book of Mormon translated prior to Smith.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm 
God

Thank you chappy! That is exactly what I was talkin' bout.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:11 pm 
God

just me wrote:
A while back it was alleged that Royal Skousen mentioned in a fireside something about the Book of Mormon being translated prior to Joseph Smith.

Buried.

Buried deep in the hopes some nosey broad wouldn't follow up on it expecting it to have been developed and supported...
:biggrin:

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm 
God

Drifting wrote:
just me wrote:

Buried.

Buried deep in the hopes some nosey broad wouldn't follow up on it expecting it to have been developed and supported...
:biggrin:

BWAHAHAHAHA! They can't escape the likes of me!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:26 pm 
God

And we're the apostates?

Quote:
Skousen concludes that article by saying:

"These new findings argue that Joseph Smith was not the author of the English-language translation of the Book of Mormon. Not only was the text revealed to him word for word, but the words themselves sometimes had meanings that he and his scribes would not have known, which occasionally led to misinterpretation. The Book of Mormon is not a 19th-century text, nor is it Joseph Smith's. The English-language text was revealed through him, but it was not precisely in his language or ours."

Did no-one in the audience of Skousen's talk ask the obvious question - who, then DID produce the translation that was delivered to Joseph Smith?
No one asked that question. But I have. Royal and I have also discussed this question, and I have some ideas about its possible answer: that the work of translation was very likely delegated (consistent with our understanding of the economy of God) to those who produced the original work (Mormon, Moroni, Alma, etc.). To me, this makes complete sense. As regards these angelic ministrants, we are told:

Angels are personages who minister for the Lord in carrying out his work. Joseph Smith taught that all angels who minister to the earth are “Those who belong to it or have belonged to it.”

Link