It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr Oaks blames members/local leaders for gay discrimination
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm 
God

Quote:
Further, we must never persecute those who do not share our beliefs and commitments. Regretfully, some persons facing these issues continue to feel marginalized and rejected by some members and leaders in our families, wards, and stakes. We must all strive to be kinder and more civil.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

It wasn't the members and leaders in our families, wards and stakes that came up with the November 2015 revelation policy Mr Oaks.

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')

Post subject: Re: Mr Oaks blames members/local leaders for gay discriminat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:44 pm 
God

Yes, YES! It is always our faults when God has a brain fart, and the prophets imagine that ____ is a revelation and propound it as such! That's the ticket Oaks, blame everyone else. True Gospel action right there people. I'm tellin ya, this man has it figured out. It musta been God tellin him yo hey there treehead, tell the members to be nicer.

Is Midgely serious? Peterson's blog is a patty-cake, surface only, all too frequently plagiarized bit of ephemeral nonsense. Why would anyone suppose avatars must be real? Midgley has lost his tiny little mind. Maybe he can go over to never-neverland and harass Peter Pan for not really knowing how to fly. -Lemmie-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:24 pm 
Hermit

That was pretty awful. What a terrible person.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:59 pm 
1st Counselor

He’s actually taught it:

PUBLIC AFFAIRS: At what point does showing that love cross the line into inadvertently endorsing behavior? If the son says, ‘Well, if you love me, can I bring my partner to our home to visit? Can we come for holidays?’ How do you balance that against, for example, concern for other children in the home?’

ELDER OAKS: That’s a decision that needs to be made individually by the person responsible, calling upon the Lord for inspiration. I can imagine that in most circumstances the parents would say, ‘Please don’t do that. Don’t put us into that position.’ Surely if there are children in the home who would be influenced by this example, the answer would likely be that. There would also be other factors that would make that the likely answer.

I can also imagine some circumstances in which it might be possible to say, ‘Yes, come, but don’t expect to stay overnight. Don’t expect to be a lengthy house guest. Don’t expect us to take you out and introduce you to our friends, or to deal with you in a public situation that would imply our approval of your “partnership.”

There are so many different circumstances, it’s impossible to give one answer that fits all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 pm 
God

Even if President Oaks' current message is not congruent with his past teachings, this new thought sounds more in-line with a real Christian teaching, so good for him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:23 pm 
God

I guess it's not the "Church" then in this article

Church says Utah rule effectively banning conversion therapy for minors should be 'appropriately amended'

https://www.ksl.com/article/46656330/ch ... ly-amended

I don't heed advise, dietary practices, criticism, moral guidance, social causes, political views or job advice from someone who worships a man who had sexual relations with little girls and other men's wives. https://www.LDS.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 am 
God

Mormonicious wrote:
I guess it's not the "Church" then in this article

Church says Utah rule effectively banning conversion therapy for minors should be 'appropriately amended'

https://www.ksl.com/article/46656330/ch ... ly-amended

I think the Church is using the term "appropriately" to mean "to suit the Church".

“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')