It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mormon Interpreter has a new name...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:09 am 
God

Quote:
On behalf of the board of trustees of The Interpreter Foundation and consistent with the counsel of President Russell M. Nelson, I’m pleased to announce that we are renaming the Foundation’s principal regular publication. It will now be known as

Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship

Not only will the journal be renamed but, over the relatively near short-term, we will be reworking our websites in order the reflect that new name. This will be done, of course, with the least possible disruption to our thousands of subscribers and readers.

We thank you for your interest and for your support, and we wish for you a happy, healthy, and satisfying 2019.

Daniel C. Peterson
President, The Interpreter Foundation

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... hange.html

Post subject: Re: Mormon Interpreter has a new name...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 am 
θεά

This is very similar to the suggestion I made back in August.

I'm glad I was able to be of service.

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am 
God

MsJack wrote:

Ms Jack should bill them for her consulting services.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 am 
God

Faith before "scholarship". :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 am 
God

I wonder how long it will take for MAD to rename.

Also, while I do not wish him ill, it would be ironic for Nelson to die shortly after all these changes were made, though I suspect Oaks is probably as much a driving force for this as Nelson.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:27 am 
Son of Perdition

Fence Sitter wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for MAD to rename.

Also, while I do not wish him ill, it would be ironic for Nelson to die shortly after all these changes were made, though I suspect Oaks is probably as much a driving force for this as Nelson.

Neither Nelson or Oaks will be around much longer in the grand scheme of things. Time is short for them as they breathe their last and bask in the limelight of stardom among their adoring fans. But alas, another groomed and idiotic apostle will have to step up to the plate and assume the losing cause of trying to save the church from utter collapse.

Includes a startling new discovery!

An original and authentic look at Facsimile No. 3 as never seen before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 am 
God

I give it 5 years before the give up the erasure of the word Mormon from all church things, dump it down the memory hole and re-embrace the I'm a Mormon bit.

It is a ship without a rudder.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 am 
God

Shulem wrote:

Neither Nelson or Oaks will be around much longer in the grand scheme of things. Time is short for them as they breathe their last and bask in the limelight of stardom among their adoring fans. But alas, another groomed and idiotic apostle will have to step up to the plate and assume the losing cause of trying to save the church from utter collapse.

The church is not just going to disapear or collapse. But it is probably done growing and if they cannot figure out a way to apeal to a younger more informed socially networked generation, it will soon start to shrink. Those things they need to do most to avoid this, like inclusiveness for women and GLBT, are unlikely to happen as long as really old white guys, who are pushing a literal Bible over scientific knowledge, are in charge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:06 am 
God

This helps show that the Interpreter is compliant with the wishes of the Church, unlike those heathens and heretics at the Maxwell Mormon Institute which includes a satanic name in their title. As Elder R. Johnny Cochran put it, "If the name is satanic they probably take Xanax".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am 
God

What a waste of Money. Changing letterheads, envelopes, web-sites, logos, etc., etc., just to have the new Overlord decide that Mormon ISN'T a win for Satan. SFMs.

I don't heed advise, dietary practices, criticism, moral guidance, social causes, political views or job advice from someone who worships a man who had sexual relations with little girls and other men's wives. https://www.LDS.org/topics/plural-marri ... o?lang=eng

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am 
God

SteelHead wrote:
I give it 5 years before the give up the erasure of the word Mormon from all church things, dump it down the memory hole and re-embrace the I'm a Mormon bit.

5 years is a good over/under. I agree, this can't last without a good replacement name. "Mormon" is a good brand name. It's short and sweet and immediately identifies the person or group. Unless a new nickname catches on, everyone will go back to Mormon. The general public will never stop using the term "Mormon".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:15 pm 
θεά

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
MsJack wrote:

Ms Jack should bill them for her consulting services.

- Doc

I should bill the whole LDS church for my consulting services. They lowered the missionary age for women to 19 shortly after I critiqued this in a Christian magazine, let women pray in General Conference shortly after my critique in the same magazine, and changed almost everything about the temple ceremony that I critiqued in my 2016 master's thesis, placing me alongside Ed Decker in the category of "evangelicals who managed to get the temple ceremony changed" (but, I think I did so in a far more respectful and less inflammatory manner than Decker).

Dan Peterson and some other Mormon apologists were also quite fond of a meme I created a few years ago.

Anyhow, it's exciting to know that there are fans of my writing in high places!

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm 
Son of Perdition

SteelHead wrote:

Agreed, the Mormon identification will back. This is a flash in a pan from President NelSatan and isn't going to last long. I have to wonder about so many Mormons who participated in the I'm a Mormon campaign and Meet the Mormons who must be feeling somewhat disturbed about this new course change in which the church is making. Where is the Spirit? Where was the divine direction of God whispering in the ears of Hinckley and Monson? Why didn't God tell them not to use the word Mormon? You'd think that millions of members of the church right now are scratching their heads and wondering what's up with the Spirit, perhaps even questioning what is the Spirit.

NelSatan will be dead soon enough and the church can walk it back and embrace the word Mormon as it has since the days of Joe & Oliver.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm 
Son of Perdition

Fence Sitter wrote:
The church is not just going to disapear or collapse. But it is probably done growing and if they cannot figure out a way to apeal to a younger more informed socially networked generation, it will soon start to shrink. Those things they need to do most to avoid this, like inclusiveness for women and GLBT, are unlikely to happen as long as really old white guys, who are pushing a literal Bible over scientific knowledge, are in charge.

It's too late, the church has lost the new generation and they aren't going to win it over by offering carrots or candy or whatever. The younger generation is moving on to higher and nobler things. Religion isn't part of that. Religion is falling flat everywhere. Not just Mormons -- but all religion. The world is waking up. The world has been sleeping but is now waking. We as a human race are entering a new era of enlightenment and the human race is evolving. There is no going back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:55 pm 
Anti-Mormon

Fence Sitter wrote:

I'd have to disagree here FS; the 20th and the first decade of the 21st century demonstrate that religious groups with the more conservative beliefs tend to show the strongest growth. Liberal theology was a deathknell for the "mainline" Protestant denominations and progressive expressions of Judaism.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:58 pm 
God

MrStakhanovite wrote:

I'd have to disagree here FS; the 20th and the first decade of the 21st century demonstrate that religious groups with the more conservative beliefs tend to show the strongest growth. Liberal theology was a deathknell for the "mainline" Protestant denominations and progressive expressions of Judaism.

You're right, but I think FS may have a point, Stak. The strongest trend in the US seems to be with folks moving away from religion.

Liberal or conservative, I'm not sure the current trajectory is going to work for them. Maybe to maintain growth, as you seem to be hinting, they need to tighten up and shift even more to the right. I dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm 
θεά

MrStakhanovite wrote:

It's true. Even as someone who advocates for the ordination of women, I don't think ordination of women has had much of a positive effect on church growth. Churches that have remained relatively conservative while ordaining women have done well (Assemblies of God, Salvation Army, and until the recent scandals, Willow Creek Community Church are all examples). Churches that have gone liberal in more ways almost always decline, minus some exceptions usually centered around pastors who can put butts in pews like Nadia Bolz-Weber and (until his own scandals) Tony Jones.

I'm not sure there's any such thing as a church that affirms the LGBT movement that could still be called relatively conservative (for example, allowing gay marriage but forbidding premarital sex).

When churches move in more liberal directions, the usual response is that the conservatives within the church abandon it, and those pews are not filled by incoming liberals who were waiting for the church to change its policies on women or gays to join.

It's hard to say what would staunch the tide of millennials and Gen Zers leaving their parents' churches. Certainly the fact that so many Christians have been inauthentic and hypocritical about their faith hasn't helped.

I personally think that it isn't that people are becoming less religious, it's that the less religious no longer feel social pressure to identify as nominal Christians. But that's probably my own conceit as a believing and practicing Christian.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm 
God

I read a paper a little while ago showing that the younger you go, the more likely you are to identify Christian belief with social and political conservatism. This is true both of practicing Christians and non-Christians alike. It presents a chicken and egg problem. The authors clearly felt that this trend was driving people who dislike social and political conservatism away from Christian practice, but there wasn't a lot of evidence to tease out direction of causality.

It seems banal, but I'm inclined towards the hypothesis that people go to Church less often because there's more interesting things to do, and as a result, fewer kids are raised with religious conversion pressure, and this is one of the significant factors that explain a significant drop-off in religious belief and participation among young people. Everyone knows people who converted from non-belief to belief as an adult, but the truth is that is rather uncommon and if you don't impress a religious worldview on a child, they're most likely to just not become religious later in life. The ongoing decline in Church attendance even among the religious is real and has generational effects.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:16 am 
God

MrStakhanovite wrote:

Hey Stak,

Yeah, I probably oversold the part about what leadership needs to do to increase numbers, though I am not sure that Mormonism conforms strictly to the Protestant mold when it comes down to what causes people to leave or stay with the LDS faith. I also don't think we can apply models from last century or even recent ones to today. Given that we are only 20 years into mass exposure to electronic social interaction, I think we simply do not know exactly how and why people are reacting. I think what is clear is that barring some global catastrophe or the discovery of a legitimate Nephite artifact, the Mormon church is pretty much done with growth. Right now, in spite of the fact we have 65,000 strong sales force and a huge emphasis on families which have lots of babies, the overall membership numbers are just keeping up with world growth. That means long time members are leaving. And, since the church does not release its actual activity numbers, it could really be in worse shape than that. Given that it is already closing down missions and increasing the size of wards & stakes, the church already might be in raw negative growth of active members and there might not be anything they can do about it anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:51 pm 
God

Quote:
Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship

This is wise naming on the former Mormon Interpreter's part. It eliminates the word Mormon, which is now understood to be satanic.

The word Faith indicates loyalty and devotion to the teachings of the Brethren. The word Scholarship indicates they are more worthy to receive moral and financial support from the Church than that so-called "Maxwell Mormon Institute".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 am 
Savior (mortal ministry)

Is this name change a middle-step to something better? I thought latter-day saint was as bad a nickname as Mormon in Nelson's eyes?

Quote:
Please avoid using the abbreviation 'LDS' or the nickname 'Mormon' as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in 'Mormon Church,' 'LDS Church,' or 'Church of the Latter-day Saints.

I wonder if the devil has grinned more in recent times than he has the whole of the world's existence.