It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deja Vu - the 3 hour block announcement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 am 
God

Taking a trip down memory lane (1980) brings up some remarkable parallels...
Quote:
A schedule combining meetings into a three-hour Sunday block has been introduced throughout the Church.

The First Presidency announced the changes in a letter accompanying instructions for stake presidencies and bishoprics. Wards and branches throughout the United States and Canada are implementing the program March 2. Those outside the U.S. and Canada will begin May 4.

The Churchwide initiation of the program follows several months of pilot studies in which selected stakes tried variations of the program—with marked success. Attendance at sacrament meeting and Relief Society increased an average of 10 to 15 percent in the pilot areas. Priesthood, Young Men, Young Women, and Sunday School attendance rose 8 to 10 percent. Primary also had an increase, though slightly lower. The consolidated schedule increased Church attendance among the less active, with fewer people leaving or skipping meetings.

https://www.LDS.org/ensign/1980/03/news ... s?lang=eng

Quote:
The consolidated meeting schedule reemphasizes personal and family responsibility for learning, living, and teaching the gospel. It also allows Church members more time for personal gospel study, service to others, and meaningful activities.

“The purpose of the consolidated meeting schedule is (1) to reemphasize personal and family responsibility for learning, living, and teaching the gospel and (2) to allow Church members more time for personal gospel study, for service to others, and for meaningful activities. The major objectives of the new schedule are to—

“1. Help every Latter-day Saint home become a place where family members love to be, where they can enrich their lives and find mutual love, support, appreciation, and encouragement.

“2. Emphasize home-centered Sabbath activities.

“3. Make more flexible a weekday activity program for all members.

“4. Reduce the amount of travel by Church members and provide opportunities for family members to travel together and participate in Church activities.

“5. Conserve energy resources and reduce the nonessential costs required for members to participate in Church activities.”

Sounds awfully similar to recent announcements....

Elder Cock 2018
Quote:
The purposes and blessings associated with this adjustment and other recent changes include the following:

Deepening conversion to Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthening faith in Them.

Strengthening individuals and families through home-centered, Church-supported curriculum that contributes to joyful gospel living.

Honoring the Sabbath day, with a focus on the ordinance of the sacrament.

Helping all of Heavenly Father’s children on both sides of the veil through missionary work and receiving ordinances and covenants and blessings of the temple.

https://www.LDS.org/general-conference/ ... t?lang=eng

I'm looking forward to the announcement of a 1 hour block in 2056...

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

Post subject: Re: Deja Vu - the 3 hour block announcement
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am 
2nd Quorum of Seventy

Similar to the third introduction of Family Home Evening.

Paul Dunn spoke about it and Satan immediately instituting Monday Night Football to keep people from Family Home Evening.

None of the brethren ever talked about it having been introduced/tried at least Twice before in the 1900's.

These guys are dumber than Government.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm 
God

This is an excellent point! I also note that there is no hint of a reference to revelation in the 1980s announcement. And yet when a similar thing is done for similar reasons in 2018 President Nelson and his acolytes feel it necessary to trumpet divine revelation as the source.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 pm 
Founder & Visionary

I have a question wrote:
Elder Cock 2018

Any relation to Elder Balls 2017?

--kairos, 08-08-2018

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:25 pm 
God

consiglieri wrote:
This is an excellent point! I also note that there is no hint of a reference to revelation in the 1980s announcement. And yet when a similar thing is done for similar reasons in 2018 President Nelson and his acolytes feel it necessary to trumpet divine revelation as the source.

Nelson seems to love slapping a revelation tag onto his actions. He has my vote as the best candidate in a while to make a claim to a "revelation" that should be put into the D&C and I am sure his new "revelation" will include how pleased the Lord is with those who take the inordinate amount of time to say the full name. It'll also probably include something about how it is "wisdom in the Lord" to exclude children of LGTB parents from baptism, etc., etc.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm 
God

One of the reasons I find this so interesting is because I went back to 1986 when President Ezra Taft Benson announced a very similar change to that of President Nelson in combining the high priest groups with the elders quorums.

The change announced by Ezra Taft Benson was to discontinue the stake seventies and have them meet with their respective high priest and/or elder quorums groups.

The significant thing is that President Benson, for all his faults, saw no need to claim revelation for the change. This was something that was announced in priesthood session in 1986 as simply a change in policy that seemed the right thing to do.

Let me see if I can find the language. Here it is from October 1986.

Quote:
Now, brethren, I would like to read to you a statement recently approved by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve:

“In harmony with the needs of the growth of the Church across the world, the First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles have given prayerful consideration to the role of the stake seventies quorums in the Church and have determined to take the following action relative thereto:

“1. The seventies quorums in the stakes of the Church are to be discontinued, and the brethren now serving as seventies in these quorums will be asked to return to membership in the elders quorums of their wards. Stake presidents, in an orderly fashion, may then determine who among such brethren should be ordained to the office of high priest.

“This change does not affect the First Quorum of the Seventy, members of which are all General Authorities of the Church.

“2. Particular emphasis is to be given in stake missions to cooperating with the full-time proselyting missionaries by finding, friendshipping, fellowshipping, and fostering member participation in all missionary activities. A missionary-minded elder or high priest will be called as the stake mission president with his counselors being selected from among the elders or high priests.

“Additional detailed instructions regarding this announcement will be provided local priesthood leaders by letter from the First Presidency.

“At this time, we commend all who have served both past and present as members of stake seventies quorums of the Church and who have so ably given of their time, talents, and resources in spreading forth the gospel of Jesus Christ.”

https://www.LDS.org/general-conference/ ... r?lang=eng

I think there can be no doubt President Nelson is attaching the revelation hashtag to his new announcements; announcements that in the past on at least these two very similar occasions have NOT been branded as revelation.

Having established this much, it is an open question not as to whether President Nelson is doing this, but why President Nelson is doing this.

Any takers?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 pm 
God

What was it Bednar said...repeat again, the same things as before.

As I said on a different thread, I think Nelson is drunk on power, in a hurry, and a few chapters short of a quad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am 
God

It's interesting that the 3 hour block announcement alludes to the change being necessary to improve attendance and activity. It was a reaction to member behaviour rather than something based on a revelation about things to come. The 2 hour block is maybe the same - a reaction to dwindling attendance and poor conversion of the newly baptised and the youth.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:02 pm 
Star A

Why would revelation from God need pilot studies and test programs?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
-- a few chapters short of a quad.

IHAQ, sometimes you just crack me up.

This one made my day.

Thanks.

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:28 am 
Deacon

Great find, IHAQ. Thanks for sharing. I’m going to see if I can gently share this among the faithful...