It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:49 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 6101
There may be some folks here that will be interested in viewing this interview:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... urney.html

Tom Christofferson, brother of Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, will tell his story.

Regards,
MG

_________________
Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 pm 
God

Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:47 pm
Posts: 5132
That should be interesting, MG.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think the Des News article got the date wrong. It should have been November 5th, not November 15th.

Tom seems like a nicer brother to Todd than Todd is to him.

What is up with that? A gay man is more Christ-like than an apostle of Jesus Christ? That seems a little backward.

And I am willing to take bets now that the video that plays between sessions has no mention in it of the November policy.

Any takers?

_________________
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 6101
consiglieri wrote:
Tom seems like a nicer brother to Todd than Todd is to him.

What makes you think that?

Quote:
Tom:
"You have never distanced yourself from me, and I'm sure it hasn't always been comfortable for you," Tom Christofferson told his brother. "Of course I am not going to back away from you in any way."

-------------

A major part of Christofferson's story was the acceptance of his family. Christofferson said his parents fasted and prayed for inspiration and received it.

"We don't understand or know how all of this will play out in eternity," Christofferson writes that his parents told one of their sons around this time. "So we are going to make sure we enjoy every single moment with Tom in this life."

They called a family council and encouraged everyone to love Tom and his partner. Their answer worked for him and their family and eventually led him back to the church.

-------------

Christofferson's brother, Elder D. Todd Christofferson, also played a role in his brother's path back to the LDS Church. But Tom Christofferson says his brother, Elder Christofferson, isn't one who offers advice freely.

"You really have to beg and plead. I think his sensitivity is wanting to support the individual in coming to their own answers and falling where they feel inspired to go," Tom Christofferson said. "I told him I had started going back to church. ...

--------------
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... urney.html

Was it something in the article...where these quotes were taken from...or somewhere/something else you are referring to?

Here is another quote from the article that is good advice for us all:

Quote:
Tom:
"That's not just an LGBTQ thing, that's everybody. All of us have issues in our lives ... that we can't quite square with our understanding of the Savior and this Gospel," he said. "So for all of us, there are all things where we have to say, 'I am pondering, I'm praying and I'm willing to keep moving forward with the faith that greater clarity will come at some point.'"

The interview will be with Tom and his brothers. My assumption is that they must get along pretty well if they're sitting down to do an interview together. :smile:

Regards,
MG

_________________
Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am
Posts: 6383
He’s not giving an interview, he’s promoting his book.

Quote:
The tender brotherly exchange is one of many personal accounts shared by Tom Christofferson in his new book, "That We May Be One: A Gay Mormon's Perspective on Faith and Family," set to land on bookshelves Sept. 25. The book chronicles his life and spiritual journey away from and back to the LDS faith.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 am
Posts: 2014
Hey Mg, you know what would be really cool... if they did an interview with all the Mormon LGBTQ youth that have killed themselves because they felt isolated and abandoned by the culture/religion their parents raised them in.

_________________
I'm a Mormon. I self identify as such.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 6101
Quote:
IHAQ:He’s not giving an interview, he’s promoting his book.

Quote:
The tender brotherly exchange is one of many personal accounts shared by Tom Christofferson in his new book, "That We May Be One: A Gay Mormon's Perspective on Faith and Family," set to land on bookshelves Sept. 25. The book chronicles his life and spiritual journey away from and back to the LDS faith.

He does have a new book coming out, that is true.

Quote:
The program will feature an interview with Christofferson and his brothers, along with ward and stake leaders who helped fellowship him back into the LDS faith after nearly two decades.

Motivated by a desire to shed light on the loving examples of his accepting family and the open arms of an LDS Ward in New Canaan, Connecticut, Christofferson felt that sharing his story was a way to share their stories. It is a story that demonstrates the way to become a "Zion people," Christofferson said.

"Together we bring a greater ability to understand, to have compassion and empathy, and that’s what really creates the community," Christofferson said. "We can all come together and bring those experiences, understanding, attributes, character traits, talents and everything with us. Out of that diversity comes a thriving community."

He's also giving an interview. I think it will be pretty cool to see him along with his brothers be interviewed.

Regards,
MG

_________________
Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:03 pm 
God

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm
Posts: 6101
Sanctorian wrote:
Hey Mg, you know what would be really cool... if they did an interview with all the Mormon LGBTQ youth that have killed themselves because they felt isolated and abandoned by the culture/religion their parents raised them in.

Let's hope that with more openness, these horrific episodes will stop.

I think interviews such as the one I linked to can only help. Tom's book should also be helpful.

I'm sure you see this as a net positive rather than a negative?

Regards,
MG

_________________
Some people make stuff up. Even here on a board like this. Go figure. What is kind of silly, in a way, is that it would take me so long to figure that out. Maybe I didn't want to think it was true. Maybe I give too much the 'benefit of a doubt' to other people. I guess I should know better.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45503


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am
Posts: 6383
If Tom and his (now ex) partner had requested some support from Relief society to celebrate their anniversary, would the sisters have refused to bake a cake on the grounds it breached their freedom of religion? Would Tom and his male loved one have been allowed to hold their relationship anniversary on church premises?

Toms story is absolute nonsense as far as being gay is concerned. He’s cashing in on his notoriety, not altruistically trying to help others. It’s simply a story about compliance. All’s well that ends straight.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Last edited by I have a question on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 pm 
God

Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:14 am
Posts: 2014
mentalgymnast wrote:
Sanctorian wrote:
Hey Mg, you know what would be really cool... if they did an interview with all the Mormon LGBTQ youth that have killed themselves because they felt isolated and abandoned by the culture/religion their parents raised them in.

Let's hope that with more openness, these horrific episodes will stop.

I think interviews such as the one I linked to can only help. Tom's book should also be helpful.

I'm sure you see this as a net positive rather than a negative?

Regards,
MG


You know what would actually help??? An apostle stating the November policy was wrong. Additionally, if an apostle came out as gay. That might actually be helpful to these youth. Instead, we get these half assed attempts that do no real good and kids continue to kill themselves. In fact, suicide is rising in Utah and is the number one killer of youth in the state. It's simple math MG.

_________________
I'm a Mormon. I self identify as such.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:39 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am
Posts: 6383
Sanctorian wrote:
You know what would actually help??? An apostle stating the November policy was wrong. Additionally, if an apostle came out as gay. That might actually be helpful to these youth. Instead, we get these half assed attempts that do no real good and kids continue to kill themselves. In fact, suicide is rising in Utah and is the number one killer of youth in the state. It's simple math MG.


The November policy is actually claimed now as a revelation. God Himself thinks of gay people as apostates and He doesn’t want their children in His Church until they are 18 and have disavowed their parents. That’s the policy and the Church should declare it boldly instead of pretending to support concerts designed to bring unity and peace to society whilst simultaneously funding an amicus brief that wants sectarianism based on sexuality.

The piece in the OP is only being promoted because it’s the tale of a gay man who finally ‘solved his gay problem’ and came back to Church. Had the outcome been anything else then the book wouldn’t have been written or promoted by Deseret News, and this thread wouldn’t be happening.

The Church is one of the most disingenuous institutions on the planet.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:29 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 5596
Sanctorian wrote:
You know what would actually help??? An apostle stating the November policy was wrong. Additionally, if an apostle came out as gay. That might actually be helpful to these youth. Instead, we get these half assed attempts that do no real good and kids continue to kill themselves. In fact, suicide is rising in Utah and is the number one killer of youth in the state. It's simple math MG.

I have a question wrote:
The November policy is actually claimed now as a revelation. God Himself thinks of gay people as apostates and He doesn’t want their children in His Church until they are 18 and have disavowed their parents. That’s the policy and the Church should declare it boldly instead of pretending to support concerts designed to bring unity and peace to society whilst simultaneously funding an amicus brief that wants sectarianism based on sexuality.

The piece in the OP is only being promoted because it’s the tale of a gay man who finally ‘solved his gay problem’ and came back to Church. Had the outcome been anything else then the book wouldn’t have been written or promoted by Deseret News, and this thread wouldn’t be happening.

The Church is one of the most disingenuous institutions on the planet.

Well said. But the rise is suicides is caused by the thinner mountain air, according to the Church....


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 5596
In keeping with the theme of staying on topic: between televised sessions, I remember my brothers desperately plotting how to disappear before the next one started. One brother was always "cold," so he would snuggle up in a blanket until my Dad figured out he was asleep with his head propped up at an appropriately attentive angle. :rolleyes:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:01 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 am
Posts: 12480
Lemmie wrote:
Good point! In keeping with the theme of staying on topic: between televised sessions, I remember my brothers desperately plotting how to disappear before the next one started. One brother was always "cold," so he would snuggle up in a blanket until my Dad figured out he was asleep with his head propped up at an appropriately attentive angle. :rolleyes:


Lolol. That ought to tell certain people what the sum total benefit of watching visual chloroform does for Mormons.

My family would have crazy fights being forced to watch that crap on tv. I remember my siblings trying to flee to their rooms and my parents yelling at them. Half of conference was spent trying to get away from the tv, my parents pulling us back, and then trying not to fall asleep. Heck, when I was a kid I'd taken to hiding in my toy chest to get out of it.

- Doc

_________________
In the anointed we find a whole class of supposedly ‘thinking people’ who do remarkably little thinking about substance and a great deal of verbal expression. - Dr. Thomas Sowell, Harvard, Columbia, University of Chicago


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 pm
Posts: 16338
Location: Northern Virginia
Lemmie wrote:
Good point! In keeping with the theme of staying on topic: between televised sessions, I remember my brothers desperately plotting how to disappear before the next one started. One brother was always "cold," so he would snuggle up in a blanket until my Dad figured out he was asleep with his head propped up at an appropriately attentive angle. :rolleyes:


Way back when I lived in Texas, we had a particularly diligent home teacher. Great guy, and a good friend. One conference weekend, he invited our family to come over to watch the Sunday morning conference session and then have a barbecue afterward. I had injured my back somehow, but we had agreed to go, so I told him I would just have to try not to move. So, the conference started, and I couldn't get comfortable because of the back pain. After about 35 minutes, I looked around the room, and everyone else--my home teacher, his wife, their son, my wife, my kids--were all asleep.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 am 
Holy Ghost
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:38 am
Posts: 884
I'll always be grateful to the brethren for all of those great naps they gave me on conference weekends when I was a teen. They were sorely needed.

_________________
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: In Between Conference Sessions.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm
Posts: 5780
So Tom committed adultery right? Was he excommunicated and did the full repentance and re-baptism? If not, how/why not?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beefcalf, Doctor CamNC4Me, EAllusion, Google [Bot], huckelberry and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group